Drawing needed.

Check Traci Hill’s book.

Are we to assume from your avatar you were a Swabbie? I see lots of Army represented here but few from the navel service. Please tell us a bit about the ship pictured and when & where you served.

OK, that's it. Now the Navy's bonding. I'll find some flick of a jet and get the AF guys to chime in.

Anchors away !!!

Damn....the pic of my old ship sure rev'd up the zoomies http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif PK.....I was in the Navy from '71 thru the end of '79. The avatar is a pic of my last duty station. She was the USNS Ute ATF 76. That would be 'Auxillary Tug Fleet' for you 2 zoomies http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif She was home ported in Subic Bay PI. Damn how I miss 'Po town'! She now rests at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, victim of age and aguided missle test. Crappy end to a ship that served with distinction in 3 wars http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif It was her divers that recovered the jap code off the Aleutians early in WW2. Anyway, before the Ute I was stationed at US Naval Radio Receiving Facility kamiseya japan and before that, US Naval Facility Barbados TWI where we tracked soviet subs....very interesting duty. How about you guys?

‘69-’73 left as SF2.

Served on USS Gerke (DD783) San Diego.

USS Buchanan (DDG14) San Diego, on which I did a long (9 months) WestPac in ’72. We saw one liberty port (Hong Kong), spent the rest of the time on line or in for repairs from artillery hits (yes, they actually managed to land a few rounds, contrary to what the ground pounders think). We inserted and extracted several Marine recon teams (lost one) using the motor whale boat with a 1919 on the bow and sailors armed with M28 TSMGs and M1 rifles.

Saluted the flag (officially) leaving USS Kitty Hawk (CVA63).

Get an AF guy to land on a carrier; HA!

Oh baby! The squids are gasping for air.

Zoomie, buy the way, is a commonly used for someone who came through the AF Academy. The normal rank and file referred to these individuals as the Hitler Youth Group. But, that’s OK, I understand where you’re coming from.

Great background JDH! I was a KC135 Navigator. Never made it to Subic Bay. Always wanted to. Most of my time was spent in the European Theater. LOTS of time in the UK, a little in Germany, a little in Turkey and then there were those few months in the “Kingdom” in Jeddah, SA in 90-91.

Really doesn’t matter what branch, what matters is that we’ve all, service or not, stepped up to the plate for the US in one way or another.

Kick the tires and light the fires. (AF thing)

PS- PK. I did shoot an approach to the carrier Teddy Roosevelt just south of the “boot” in the Med. It wasn’t pretty and the 707 was a bit big for the deck. It was a hoot !!! Call the ball ...

CJR

Mine was alot less dramatic. Went in in '81,learned to operate a backhoe,heavy machinery operator. Stayed at Lackland and came home due to family illness (father luekemia)just after school, gave a few years as AF inactive reserve. Was going back active in '83, but had a dumbass attack and got married.

Mike

Mike's Machineguns

JDH,

I was involved in designing and installing the sub tracking systems and associated communications at NAVFAC Barbados, and others, in the late 60's and early 70's. That was a pretty good system for it's day.

The military wouldn't take me because of my vision, so I did what I could to contribute.

Pete,

When were you in Barbados and did you work for WE or were you one of their subs? BTW, kinda nice down there, eh?!

JDH,

I was with WE from 1967 thru 1975 in the Defense Activities Division in Winston-Salem, NC.. I was involved in facility power systems, radio, data and teletype comm systems and test planning for a number of the NAVFACs but didn't actually get to travel much. I never did get to Barbados, but did get to Delaware, Bermuda and Hawaii. I also spent some time in the Boston and Portmouth shipyards working on shipboard equipment for that side of the operation. I knew the field people who did get to the sites, but can't remember any names after all this time. That was a great project to be involved with.