Unusual Movie Thompson Variation

Check out this unusual Hollywood (or at least I think it is Hollywood prop job) Thompson from an old gangster movie with old-time character actor Wallace Beery. You'd probably have to be born before 1960 to remember him. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Anyway, I wonder what the heck the contraption is over the top of the barrel. Too bad the picture is cropped and you can't see the end of the barrel. I am going to research this film and see if I can view it to see if the gun appears in the movie or if this was just a prop for a publicity shot.

Anybody have any information on this addition or know what it is? I've never seen anything like it.

http://members.aol.com/gijive/BeeryThompson.jpg

A close up of the device sticking out of the actuator slot.

http://members.aol.com/gijive/BeeryThompson1.jpg

I think I recall (great opener) our Respected Member talking of having owned a movie gun once used by Mr. Berry. likely one of the MGM guns. As far as the device goes, whew! Interesting. Maybe a Hollywood scope????

had the paperwork on that one and gun.sold it about ten year's ago..movie>"THE BIG HOUSE"

the prop man back in the 80's told me had a few made up with scope tube's for the movie...he never did get them back from the set...it's #3965...heck i'd have to check my record's again...one of the "m.g.m.gun's...what fond memorie's....also had the screenwriter's and wallace chatting while holding the gun...on the set!!

nice history!!

now since gone...better go before arthur chimes in...he hate's recondite's..little doe's he know i'm from chi-town wink!! i have possibly> forgotten more then some will ever know..the sad day of ole age!!

take care,ron

Respected Ron is correct. It is from the movie, "The Big House" made in 1930. The movie was also made by MGM so that is one of the MGM guns. It looks to be in pretty good shape in 1930 without too much bluing wear.

So it is a pretend scope, huh Ron? Looks like something made up by the prop department.

they had to give it pizzazz!!big house style.... when i got the gun it had been reblued...and a live barrel was attached...it was nice of them to include the blank barrel also.real rough one!!

and the black case with m.g.m.in white letter's on the back with a stock number painted on...i tried to buy it back recently...my buddy still has it....however he is a m.g.m.collector of sort's...so no deal there!!

thats what i get for selling him some of my best and most historic..however i was able to buy the "mason city gun "back.ya know what the trade was?? the m.g.m. gun!

go figure...anyway all the children are in the hand's of good folk now......

i will just play around with my 1927a sbr thompson......chump change at $800.00..............

however now if i decide to buy something i can!!

just don't have that urge... thank's for the memorie's....on this gun.. take care,ron

gijive: That is my proverbial stab in the dark regarding the "scope"...or maybe a very early Lawrence Welk bubble machine in .45 calibre. Now I'm giving away my age. I won't bet money on the scope idea. Those that know me know my wealth being

colt21a: We can always depend on you for the history of the movie guns. I just want the one Vic Morrow used (#8245).

Mighty interesting! I wouldn't think that an attempt at adding a scope would modify the actuator knob as has been done here. Were there any experiments with gas operated Thompsons?

QUOTE (Ron Mills @ May 6 2005, 08:04 PM)
gijive:  That is my proverbial stab in the dark regarding the "scope"...or maybe a very early Lawrence Welk bubble machine in .45 calibre.  Now I'm giving away my age.  I won't bet money on the scope idea.  Those that know me know my wealth being < normal...

colt21a: We can always depend on you for the history of the movie guns.  I just want the one Vic Morrow used (#8245).

ron many year's ago i spoke to the guy who had that gun.i had that one in my hand's in 1971......and it was pretty rough then,since reblued and new part's and wood for sure...

they also had been used in "never so few" with steve mcqueen and frankie and sammie.....

also in bataan when robert taylor tosses it aside,after unloading it on the yellow dirty rotten rat's........that is when the actuator got busted,of course earl changed that out...

i better quit for now....i am getting teary eyed...wink!!take care,ron

p.s oh frick!! my nemisis is reading this now...........I'M DOOMED..............

Colt21a--

Did you ever run across Audie Murphy's Thompson? I wonder what serial number that one was? I assume it was a real one.

never followed up on whatever that one was..he seemed to like the mg-42 in that movie.wink!! and the 50cal.on the tank...how about those f.n.bar's in "kelly's heroe's"

along with two type rear sight on the m1 and m1a1 they change in every scene!!

negative wave's moriarity....take care,ron

The look on his face is the same on me, after I bought my Kahr Thompson http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif . Maybe thats a new modification made to the new ones to work right. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif adlake