Maintenance Information

I have several manuals which don't help me very much but would like to know if there is a video/dvd on taking the Thopson apart and so forth, mainly my concern is the lower end, replacing the safety/fire control levers, installing ejectors, extractors and firing pin etc. I need to SEE it done rather than read about it for me to learn. Email me if you can.

Appreciate the help.

Mark

The AGI DVD shows the disassembly and reassembly of the lower as well as how they work.

One tip though, when working with the pivot plate use a wooden dowel, not a metal screwdriver. There are a few that make a plastic tool for the job also.

I got the one off Ebay and I will see what it shows and if it isn't what I need I will go with the AGi.

I bought some parts from a gentleman last year and in it was one of those wood pivot plate tools so at least I won't booger up anything.

Normally I would dive right in and remove the plate and safety and fire control and pull out the rest, at least that is what it LOOKS like would happen- I sort of don't want a spring inthe face ,ey, floor situation if I can prevent it.

Taking stuff apart is easy. Its getting it all back in and working that at times presents a problem. Especially if a part flies, then rolls under a work bench. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

Out of all the guns I've worked on the Colt Python has to be one of the worst.

I've learned finally how to take these puppies apart and get em back together just right.

I put em in a nice shipping crate and off they go to PK! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Z

I'm patiently waiting for Brownells or one of the other resellers to get the AGI DVD. It should be much cheaper, especially with the C&R. However, cheaper or not it should be much better than the grainy black and white Army films. I had to rewind mine many, many, . . . many times (did I mention I had to rewind it several times???), pause it, and get right up to the TV screen to be able to see what the heck the the actor/armorer was doing with the lower receiver.

45Fan, I really wish you had said that a couple of days ago. Guess I might as well find the AGI DVD now as later. If all else fails I have a box already addressed to PK-hahahahaha might be true never know.

Mark

Sorry, what I said may not have come out quite right. The Army films are black and white, have poor lighting (think film noir) and are kinda grainy; however, you will be able to learn how to disassemble the lower and put it back together again from watching it. I figured it out in a few minutes with NO manuals or additional assistance of any kind other than the tape. It just could have been better and while I haven't seen it, I feel pretty sure the AGI video will be better being in color, with good lighting, etc. Truthfully, once you have taken your lower apart and put it back together, you'll see that it isn't a big deal at all; so don't worry. That is why I said I'm waiting for someone else to offer the AGI video at a cheaper price. I don't NEED it anymore to understand how to maintain my Thompson; but I do think it would be a nice reference to have around. Personally, I think the Army films are interesting from a historical standpoint too. There are films on shooting technique, in depth coverage of how the TSMG functions using cut-away models, and other aspects of the gun besides just disassembly. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Sam

Thanks Sam, I feel better now. Normally I would go ahead and remove the pivot plate and watch as the parts are removed and lay them out accordingly but truth be told I just don't want to here " BOING" and have to start lookin gor some spring I missed. Tape ought to be here in a week and I will let you know.

Mark