Are There Any Pre-86 Thompsons Out There?

Yep, lots. Re-Imported after '68 and before '86. Can't say what a '21 would go for, haven't seen one sell. The 21/28 DS I have seen went for 10K, I bought a DS AO M1A1 for 5K and a DS Savage 28A1 for 7.5k a couple of years ago. Now they are getting 7-8K for the M1A1 and 9-11K for 28's.

Large numbers of Thompsons were exported out of the U.S. Many Colt TSMGs were sent all over the world. Then the militaries and some Colts were Lend Leased to Great Britain during WWII. There were many TSMGs encountered in Viet Nam.

When the Thompsons were brought back into the U.S., especially after 1968, they were considered "imports" even though they were mfg in the U.S.

Roger Cox, who wrote one of the very first reference books on the TSMG, estimated that about 1/3 or 5000 of the 15,000 Colt Thompsons mfg were exported. That number be high, but probably no one really knows for sure the exact number exported.

October1971

Lots of pre-86 thompsons. M1 and M1A1's run in the $7500-9000 range normally. Military 28's go for $8500-12K. I've never seen a Pre-86 1921 so I have no idea on that one. The guns were sold, loaned, leased or given to lots of foreign govts and many were imported between 1968 and 1986. They are popular guns and have been for a very long time. I've got a pre-86 M1A1 that is a great shooter.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Quote "There were many TSMGs encountered in Viet Nam."

Guys might be interested to know that the New Zealand Army gave its entire stock of Auto Ord 1928A1's to the French in the early days of the Viet Nam war. This included drums and ammo and all spares.

Most of it, if not all was later captured by the Vietminh.

I have a book called "Vietnam, the secret war" which has photos of french soldiers carring 1928A1's.

Regards

Murray

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif I have seen the photos of the weapons left behind/VC used in Viet Nam. There is a field behind a warehouse outside of Siagon and the weapons are piled/stacked there....rusting away! and YES there are many Thompsons in the piles. You name , it was there...even AK's.

SIX out