Thompson Serial #s

The serial number in the 247 thousand range indicates it is a Savage S-247XXX contract gun for AOC. The AOC Bridgeport splant erial numbers do not go that high. You will have to try to look at overall manufacture numbers for the contract periods and estimate. It is not as simple as other WW2 US military firearms where the serial number range is broken down by the month and year production figures. Rear sight type and fiined barrel or lack of fins are a general guide if the gun is in original condition still.

Thanks for the info.... my friend in France has it and sent me pictures (of course it isn't live so when he visists, I let him fire mine that is) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif His 28A1 has the L style site on it with AOC markings... I see you were suggesting it was made my Savage under contract from AOC. Would there be any markings that point towards Savage? I can email pictures of the receiver if you want to see them. Just send me an email address.

Thundercat,

The Savage-made guns have an S- in front of the serial number. The AutoOrdnance-made guns have AO- in front of the serial number. Interpolating (as suggested by Merry Ploughboy) puts that gun as probably being made in October 1941. Read through chapter V of American Thunder I for more details about the different inspector's markings. They will also differentiate a Savage from an AO gun.

With the serial number of 247xxx, I would not expect to see an L rear sight. They were not even discussed by the Ordnance Committee until after that gun was made, and didn't start appearing on Savage 28's until around serial 400,000. I would expect a 28A1 in the 247xxx range to have an adjustable rear sight, finned bbl, knurled actuator and non-crossbolt stock.

Is the finish Dulite or parkerized? If the latter, it is possible it went through a rebuild and had some components switched.

Thanks for the post... I spent some time really going over Frank's book with the info I have. When I really look at the pictures my friend sent me, I can just make out the "S" before the serial # so it is Savage built one. I am sending an email to him to get more pictures and any marks he may find that can help identify it better.