Value Of A Bar

Philasteen,...watching BAR prices in the last couple of years is like watching gas prices for the last month!....however,imo a 1918 in reasonable condition..75% or better would bring at least 20k between gentlemen..A2s seem to be immune to any devaluation because of previous refinishing,much like WWII Thompsons...1918s are not seen as often and need more scrutiny and usually more green...hth... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I would think being a colt, that it would hurt the value. I dont much like the looks of the colt BARs myself. Imagin that!

(also...wrong forum, but we'll let it slide this time! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif )

JJ has Colt envy. He thought he could satisfy it by purchasing an M-16, but all that plastic and resin only made him more frustrated. His doctors told him that he could relieve his pain and suffering by taking any and all opportunities for imprecations against any mention of Colt firearms.

Now as to your Colt 1918 BAR's possible value, considering condition of original parts, wood, and finish, think in the neighborhood of high 20's-low 30's. That would also be the same for a Winchester of comparable condition. Group Industry A1 types seem to be getting over $20K!

IMHO Colt 1918 BARs fetch the highest price, followed closely by Winchesters and then Marlin-Rockwells.

The price would depend on how good of a friend the seller is, how much he has invested in the gun to date, and how badly he wants or needs the money from the sale of the gun.

We have all read/heard of Class 3 Outfits buying 1918 BARs from Family Collections for well under the advertised internet prices because the family needs/wants the money and don't have a firm grasp of the value of these guns.

The price for a 1918 BAR between good friends would probably be somewhere in the $20K- $28K range.

I hope you work out a satisfactory deal for the Colt 1918 BAR.

Good Luck,

Johnny