Post Sample Done

http://images.andale.com/f2/126/125/4386526/1123406763976_post21.jpg

Its done and had a few rounds run through it now. I went for the 1921A look, I like the clean lines of no compensator. Decided to avoid the exact copy of colt thompson markings, but kept the tone the same while fulfilling the required information. The serial number suggestions were great, but in the end, I went with TS004. TS for thompsonstocks (my website address and business name) and 004 for the 4th gun I've now done.

Rust blued the receiver (that's a job and a half). So there is about 3 finish types on the metal, will have to even it out sometime this winter.

Lets see, it really is a mutt, but here's its pedegree. Savage internals, phili receiver, smooth savage actuator (have to get a 21 actuator sometime), Savage barrel, Savage bolt, West Hurley rear sight (that will be the first thing to be replaced when I find a lyman), wood of course by me, oh and a numrich lower of unknown origin (bought that several years ago).

Crosby L drum group at 50 yards (all one burst), greatest spread 23 inches between shots and slightly off to the left of my aim point (the wind was blowing real strong).

I had my little snip of a niece shooting it today along with a couple other women. I think they almost had more fun than I did. She shot it pretty well to for a girl that might weigh 120 pounds. Should have had her pose for Mike's calender.

Anybody wanting to venture to North Iowa is welcome to come play!

Oh, and lastly, couldn't have got it going this fast without Bills help, thanks very much!

"Bill", that'd be me I think, may have to make a trip to Iowa, or at least we all need to inspire Dan to get to the TCA next year. One of Mike's calendar girl's would babysit the kids I'm sure Dan

The gun looks great. I'm thrilled to know that the Thompson tradition can be kept alive. Make some more. We shall overcome these silly laws someday!

Dan,..let me add my kudos...that is just beautiful!....nice work.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

That, is amazing!

Z

Dan,

This is one beautiful Thompson. Don't ever cut it up. I am sure someone on this board could find this Thompson a good home if you ever decide to give up your license. Just think if they ever repealed the 1986..........

Rust blue came from Brownells. Clean/degrease the metal as usual in bluing, then apply the chemical blue. Let is sit for 3 hours, apply again, another 3 hour rest. At this point the metal was black/reddish rusty. Then you boil the part. Afterwards, a fine wire brushing or steel wool removes the oxidized surface and leave the metal slightly blued. Then you repeat the process (but only one blue application) until you have a desired darkness of the metal. I think I did it 6 times including one rust period overnight. Longer than 3 hours is Ok after the first boiling application. It didn't look very good until the last time with some streaking of the color and light areas.

Seems like I`ve seen that quality of wood before...oh ya,in my own gun room!...3 Thompsons ..3 sets of Dan`s wood... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif