Replica

QUOTE (dalbert @ Aug 25 2006, 11:16 PM)
1) Numrich Arms of Mamaroneck, N.Y., and West Hurley, N.Y. manufactured many Thompsons during this time, and also made significant numbers of barrels and other small parts.  They also engaged in at least 8 years of R&D for the 1927A1 Semi-Automatic Thompson, producing a protoype that was rejected by ATF as being too easily converted to full auto in 1967.

2) The last Thompson patent (for the Model 1928 modification, patented in 1931) expired on August 4, 1948.  Anyone could have manufactured the Thompson after that date, and could have begun to produce the Model 1921 Thompson around 1936-1938. 

3)Trast did not have to apply for any existing Thompson patents for the 1927A1, as they were all long expired, and were not renewable.  Trast produced the first 1927A1 that was certified by ATF in 1974.

4) Documents do exist to support the contention that NAC at Mamaroneck and West Hurley produced Thompsons in the 1950's.  I will post them soon for all to see, and many folks saw them at the TATA Show.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

1) Numrich did not make a receiver from scratch bar stock. All the receivers he used to assemble the other parts were already made and stamped by Colt or Savage/AO

2) Now you say anyone could have manufactured the 1928 TSMG's after 1948 and the 1921 TSMG after 1936? I'm not sure how that helps your AOC unbroken chain cause then.

3) Trast had on 7/25/84 applied for the "Thompson" trademark and that Auto-Ordnance Corporation at West Hurley was then granted that trademark registration on 9/17/85. The 1927A1 has no connection to the original AOC as they never made any semi auto Thompson receivers.

4) You have documents stating that Numrich made TSMG's in the 1950's? Do those documents say what happened to any surviving TSMG that Numrich allegedly made at this time? A prototype 1927A1 is not an smg. Numrich couldn't make a prototype semi to pass ATF inspection in 1967, but Trast could in 1974? What technical advancements were made in the intervening 7 years that did the trick?

But failure to pass ATF inspection was not the reason Numrich gave to George Nonte for shelving the planned 1927A1 back in 1967. In fact, the prototype was displayed at trade shows around the country at the time. Would Numrich promote an M-1 type 1927A1 to the public if he hadn't at least got ATF approval for the design? Whatever the reasons were for the no go on tooling up for this semi, ATF red tape wasn't among them.

Phil,

Nobody denies the existence of NAC prefix and suffix TSMG's. But if you look at ATF forms of these registered TSMG's (the ATF fees for the ones found in the crates, not imported by Numrich, were actually paid by Kilgore) the box "Name & Address of Manufacturer & Or Importer of Firearm" is indifferently filled in with "Colt," Savage," "AO" even if NAC was the importer. ATF seems not to care about any box but the serial number.

The essence of this debate regarding Numrich and the Maguire sale of anything but crates is that Numrich never rolled mark any receiver with the bullet logo, AOC name, patent dates or numbers. Why? Because the receivers already existed and as Helmer says, "bear the original Auto-Ordnance markings." To me that says two things: Numrich never made a full auto receiver from scratch, and he never attempted to exercise any "authorized right" to use the names and logo that he said he purchased in 1951.

But let us examine the contention that it was the company called "NAC" that "manufactured these suffix and prefix TSMG's. Why would Numrich, the "legitimate" owner of the Auto-Ordnance Corporation, need to register these Thompson's' under his "Numrich Arms Corporation" instead of the name stamped on the receiver, "Auto-Ordnance Corporation," which is the company/business he said he purchased in 1951? Even if he imported a complete TSMG, why use the "NAC" suffix when it was supposedly the "original AOC" company that imported these Thompsons'?

The broken chain gang can not have it both ways. Either Numrich owned everything, not just the crates, which means that he need not continue using his relatively unknown "NAC" company name and use the Auto-Ordnance Corporation name, or he had to use his own "NAC" stamp because there was a problem using the name of the business he presumed he owned lock stock and barrel.

Again, the question is not whether Numrich imported TSMG's and put together existing parts, aside from the peculiar barrels he did indeed make from scratch. The question is did "AOC" make any Thompson Submachine Guns from 1951 to 1974? Since Numrich didn't use the "AOC" name, we absolutely know that "AOC" never made a Thompson Submachine Gun from 1944 until 1975.

QUOTE (dalbert @ Dec 6 2005, 01:09 PM)
I will clarify the facts around point #1 to start.  Thompson patents were valid for only 17 years.  Most of them expired between 1935 and 1938.  Some exceptions to this could have been the Model of 1928 actuator change, and the M1 Thompson.  I do not know if specific patent applications were made for these two products, but if they were patented, the patents would probably have expired around 1943 and 1959, respectively.  Only a potential M1 patent would have had any expiration conflict within the Numrich period. 

Arthur,

If you will scroll back to my original post to this thread on December 6, 2005, which is quoted above, you will see that I detailed the patent expiration issue to you at that time, and you responded to it. This is not new news. When a patent expires, the patented item is no longer protected, and others may use the technology.

Potential patent infringement was an issue between the Thompson and the Hyde 35 SMG, but was limited to pushback from the patent examiner until the Thompson patent(s) in question expired in 1936, and the Hyde patent was granted.

I have since determined the details of the 1928 actuator change patent, and also that the M1 was never patented. Those are the only changes regarding patents that I have added since my original statement on the subject.

I disagree that the essence of this argument is roll stamping. The essence of this argument, to me at least, is that the history and succession of the Thompson extends 90 years.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

now i get it.they still make thompson's.just different maker's.thats all good. oh dave got the helmer pouch.tell bill stay safe and healthy.

remember guy's it's all fun and history,not headache's.

and we won't even get into the japanese replica model's yet.or the resin cast dummie's, or the r-gun and sarco fake's with real part's.hecka guy at a local show say's i've got a real thompson.then pull's a dummy out of a black case. and it wasn't gerry mahoney.wink! have fun.live long and prosper.take care,ron

Dave,

The essence of this particular isolated segment of the argument is:

Did AOC, i.e. Numrich, make a Thompson Submachine Gun using a newly made receiver from 1951 to 1974 with these newly made markings stamped on the receiver:

"Auto-Ordnance Corporation

Mamaroneck, N.Y. U.S.A." on the right side

&

"Thompson Submachine Gun" on the left side

OR

West Hurely, New York U.S.A." on the left side

&

"Thompson Submachine Gun" on the right side

between 1951 and 1974.

It's time to take a Howard Hughes Spruce Goose stand. You show me a new production registered serial numbered Thompson Submachine Gun with these markings made between 1951 and 1974 and I will forefeet any claim that Numrich never made TSMG's using the AOC name during that period. That would mean that he, and only he, could rightfully be the AOC successor.

Arthur,

I have addressed your question before in this thread. The answer to "this particular isolated segment of the argument" is "no." I have not yet found an example thus marked. That does not mean that the succession of the Thompson is broken.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Perhaps the reason Numrich used the NAC suffix is because of vanity, who wouldn't want their name associated with one of the most recognizable firearms ever made.

Mike Hammer

Arthur,

I agree with David. What you ask for is not necessay to establish sucession.

However, let me see if I understand you correctly. All you need to satisfy your doubts of Thompson lineage and succession is one example of a NAC Thompson Submachine Gun in which the receiver was not manufactured by Colt, Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport or Savage, i.e., it was manufactured completely from bar stock by NAC between 1951 and 1974.

TD,

Not by "NAC," but by "AOC." A production, not prototype, with the new address. That would sustain your contention that Numrich actually manufactured TSMG's under the same 1916 "Auto Ordnance-Corporation." Of course you and Dave do not agree on any of the traditional barometers of succession. It is not in your interests. You won't even accept this challenge since it isn't the stacked deck you are used to playing with on this issue.

Mike,

By that logic, who wouldn't want to call their firearms business the famous "Auto-Ordnance Corporation? How many people knew what "NAC" was or for that matter that the "N" stood for Numrich? And surely Ira Trast had as much vanity as his boss Numrich. Why didn't he stamp the West Hurley receivers from 1975 on with "ITC?"

Arthur,

The corporate entity is not the question. That entity evolved on to something else in 1944. As you know, it sold off all rights and interest in the Thompson in 1949. The Thompson ended up at Numrich Arms Company in 1951. This is old news and a non-starter - don't waste your time posting on this.

Again, is all you need to satisfy your doubts of Thompson lineage and succession is one example of a NAC production (not prototype) Thompson Submachine Gun in which the receiver was not manufactured by Colt, Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport or Savage, i.e., it was manufactured completely from bar stock by NAC between 1951 and 1974. All Thompson’s commonly referred to as West Hurley Thompson’s, prototype, production or otherwise are excluded. A simple yes or no will suffice.

That is my challenge. As long as it says in new, as in 1950's,60's stamping "Auto-Ordnace Corporation" and "Mamaroneck, N.Y. U.S.A" or "West Hurley, New York U.S.A." on the receiver. But unless your part of the bargain is to accept that Numrich never bought any rights to manufacture the Thompson, and of course never did, if you cannot produce such a Thompson, then what are you wagering? If you have such confidence in finding this critter than put up or...

Please stop with the "corporate entity" is not relevant dodge. Your drum beat has always been that Numrich bought more than crates. That Numrich was operating "NAC" as if it were the exact same "AOC" business that ceased to exist in 1944. Your unbroken chain theory has way too many caveats to last from 1944 to 1949, never mind from 1951 to 1975.

Why does it matter what the stampings are? I thought what was important was a receiver manufactured from scratch or bar stock into a production Thompson Submachine Gun. Let's get right to the heart of this one small detail that keeps you from accepting the Thompson lineage from General Thompson to Kahr Arms.

QUOTE (TD. @ Aug 26 2006, 10:13 PM)
Why does it matter what the stampings are? I thought what was important was a receiver manufactured from scratch or bar stock into a production Thompson Submachine Gun.

TD,

Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Why would Numrich, the supposed owner of AOC, build a TSMG from scratch and then not apply the stampings I illustrated? What does it say on the receiver that you found that you believe Numrich built? What is with all the cloak and dagger?

My challenge has nothing to do with what many authors/experts on Thompson Submachine Guns have maintained all along; that Numrich only purchased crates and the orignal AOC company never made another TSMG after 1944. Of course Numrich had the capability to make a brand new Thompson receiver from scratch, and then out of existing parts, make a complete weapon, since he had the machines, the spare parts, and the stamping equipment.

Just like my pizza restaurant example, I want to see Numrich's fresh baked product in a new box that uses the same name he said he bought. All Numruch did was use frozen pizzas made by the original baker and put them in old boxes with his initials scrawled in the corner.

Phil - you got it. George owned it all. From what I can tell, George was not really into history, but he did care something about it. Think prototype Thompson donations to West Point. However, one thing is for sure, he was into making a profit.

Arthur - obtuse? Drop the crap please.

Of course Numrich had the capability to make a brand new Thompson receiver from scratch, and then out of existing parts, make a complete weapon, since he had the machines, the spare parts, and the stamping equipment.

I think you got it too. George did and he did.

Wow - can you believe this thread. It appears this subject is more than a passing interest to most. I have a feeling this will all be settled someday.

Again, is all you need to satisfy your doubts of Thompson lineage and succession is one example of a NAC production (not prototype) Thompson Submachine Gun in which the receiver was not manufactured by Colt, Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport or Savage, i.e., it was manufactured completely from bar stock by NAC between 1951 and 1974. All Thompson’s commonly referred to as West Hurley Thompson’s, prototype, production or otherwise are excluded. A simple yes or no will suffice.

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Aug 26 2006, 01:39 PM)
Dave,

The essence of this particular isolated segment of the argument is:

Did AOC, i.e. Numrich, make a Thompson Submachine Gun using a newly made receiver from 1951 to 1974 with these newly made markings stamped on the receiver:

Mamaroneck, N.Y. U.S.A." on the right side

&

"Thompson Submachine Gun" on the left side

OR

West Hurely, New York U.S.A." on the left side

&

"Thompson Submachine Gun" on the right side

between 1951 and 1974.

It's time to take a Howard Hughes Spruce Goose stand. You show me a new production registered serial numbered Thompson Submachine Gun with these markings made between 1951 and 1974 and I will forefeet any claim that Numrich never made TSMG's using the AOC name during that period. That would mean that he, and only he, could rightfully be the AOC successor.

My challenge could not be more explicit. I enclose the original post from August 27 that stipulated what the receiver would look like if one existed. Does the one you imagine you have seen meet these simple standards? If so, then yes If not, then no.

Arthur,

That's right - it was your challenge, not mine. Those of us who understand the history of the Thompson do not have to issue challenges. I find your insistence on specific markings applied to Thompson’s by George Numrich in the 1950's, 1960's very puzzling. Generally speaking, I thought the owner of a business, or perhaps the customer, had a big say in the specific markings applied to firearms. Of course, there probably would have been a few federal regulations back then, but I suspect this mainly applied to the serial number data. Have you seen a Thompson(s) marked as you described? George certainly could have used the Auto-Ordnance name, but I have found during this time period he was making a big effort to establish his company's name, Numrich Arms.

I think Phil has this whole debate in perfect focus. The Kahr Arms version of Auto Ordnance would with out doubt not exist if not for J.T.T., T.E., O.P. R.M and the others. Whatever you want to call the link between "new" Auto Ordnance and "old" Auto Ordnance, you can't deny that there is a link.

I've been watching you guys debate this for years and have found two facts to be undeniable. The first being that the corporation J.T.T. founded in 1916 is today called Components Corporation of America, the second is that neither side is ever going to convince the other that they are wrong on this issue.

My view is that the "new" Auto Ordnance is the bastard child of the "old". It may not be legitimate but it's better than no child at all.

My view is that the "new" Auto Ordnance is the bastard child of the "old". It may not be legitimate but it's better than no child at all.

The legitimacy is the big question.

Even though I agree with AF on this, no one can deny a "link" of some sort. After all one of the big arguments is over the copyrights.

If the AOC company as a whole was not bought at some point (verses just buying some crates full of parts), then the company ceased to exist. If someone started a new company with the same name as the old company and the same product as the old company, they are still a different company even though they are carrying on with the old company's legacy.

If someone can show me (and everyone else) proof that the entire company was purchased at the time in question then I will gladly accept it. Just buying crates doesn't seem to be enough proof.

I think that if a complete company were sold (even back in the 1950s), there would be plenty of official documentation to support it.

If someone out there has this info, please post with it's history.

I am an open minded person and have no problem admitting that I am wrong, I just need some evidence to support my change of mind.

TD, there is no denying that the spirit of J. Thompson lives on even into the modern 27A1s. I just wish the quality and workmanship was there also.

I think that this question will never 100% answered. At least we can all agree that our Thompsons are great guns. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Norm

Phil,

It will be intresting to see the documents that you speak of. If someone found them in just the past few years, then I am sure that they will eventually surface. Afterall, this thread seems to have as much longevity as the original AOC! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

If the company never ceased to exisist, but only sold the crates of parts, then that would still make WH and Kahr not blood related to the original AOC.

I look forward to seeing any documents that surface.

Dalbert is a big Thompson document collector. Maybe he knows where they might be. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.SELECT_ENTITY

NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Entity Name: AUTO ORDNANCE CORPORATION

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: COMPONENTS CORPORATION OF AMERICA

Initial DOS Filing Date: AUGUST 25, 1916

County: QUEENS

Jurisdiction: NEW YORK

Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION

Current Entity Status: INACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)

C T CORP SYSTEM

277 PARK AVE

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10017

Registered Agent

C T CORP SYSTEM

277 PARK AVE

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10017

NOTE: New York State does not issue organizational identification numbers.

Search Results New Search

Division of Corporations, State Records and UCC Home Page NYS Department of State Home Page

Roger Cox:

"The original Auto Ordnance Corporation is still (circa 1982) a valid New York chartered corporation. It was incorporated on August 25, 1916, and with the two name changes is still in business today in Dallas, Texas headed by Cary Maguire, the son of Russell, although far removed from firearms manufacture. The name was changed officially to Maguire Industries, Inc., on March 15, 1944, and again to Components Corporation of America on March 14, 1961.

Now we are back on the corporation issue. A quick review of any of my posts on this subject will reveal that I state the corporation has never been the link to the succession of the Thompson Submachine Gun through the various owners. Auto-Ordnance Corporation ceased to exist before the end of World War II. What the newly named corporation, Maguire Industries, Inc., did was sell off in total an old product line, the Thompson Submachine Gun, to Kilgore Manufacturing Company in 1949. This product line is what establishes the link or succession to the company General Thompson founded in 1916. Simply stated, the corporation when one way and the Tommy Gun went another. Maguire later became Components Corporation of America. Maguire and later Components have or claim no interest in the Thompson Submachine Gun or the name Auto-Ordnance – other than it was a former product line and former name. This happens all the time in business. Procter and Gamble buys and sells product lines all the time. And yes, you can follow the product to each new owner. The product in this case happens to be the Thompson Submachine Gun. Follow the transfers, follow the money, follow the reason for purchase and follow what each owner did with the Thompson. The line of succession is continuous. It is not important whether or not George Numrich manufactured any receivers from bar stock between 1951 and 1974. He certainly had the means to make receivers and did so if it meant making a profit.

I post on this subject for two reasons. I enjoy the history of the Thompson and I hate to see Arthur spread half-truths about the subsequent transfers of the Thompson from Maguire. I want all members, new and old, to hear the other side to this story. Whatever decision each member makes is fine with me. It appears since I have been telling the story on the line of succession, this subject is much better understood - and that is a good thing for all. I even have Lancer now saying that maybe the Thompson when transferred from Maguire is a bastard child from General Thompson's original company. Actually, that is not a bad analogy; Lancer, I may steal that phrase from you someday. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif