Thompson Parts Kits

I've found a number of different distributors that sell parts kits for the Thompson. But what I'm wondering about is assembly. Being an open bolt design how do you build one as a semi-auto closed bolt? Where do you find receiver blanks? And where do you find the blueprints to build it?

Thanks,

Robert

Paradude54@comcast.net

A lot of rules to follow if you want to stay a freeman..... If you are building a reciever from scratch you will have to make it to semi specs. If you want to put the short barrel on the gun that is paperwork and a $200.00 tax... You might want to just get a semi gun and put the short barrel on it..... Otherwise you're going to have some serious money in to it....

That's what I figured. You don't happen to know a good place to buy a semi-auto Thompson do you? I know that Auto-Ordinance is making them, but I haven't heard much good about them.

As for the short barrel, I'm intending to build it as an SBR and give the ATF some more of my money.

If your gonna buy a Kahr Auto-Ordnance, the cheapest place I found was at www.sarcoinc.com...you gotta call 'em, 'cause it ain't listed on-line, unless you go to the bottom of the home page and click on the Shotgun News ad pdf files...page 5, I think, top left corner...I paid 735 for mine...

Rob

I have a 27A1 Kahr with no rear sight I'm going to be selling here on the board for 5 bills + shipping.....

Looks like it found a new home.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif

There are several Receivers out there. Phil-Ordnance is producing them, and has for years. Doug Richardson's happens to offer the best with his 1921/28/M1 Styles, and another patterned after the Numrich.Karh Semi-Receivers, but of higher quality. I'm unaware however, if Doug has any Receivers in stock. As far as "Semi-Specs". There is, to my knowledge, only one Semi-Auto Copy of the Thompson, and that is what's currently available. However, that was Numrich's Design based on a Receiver slightly shorter in height than an Original TSMG Receiver. This is not to suggest that building on a Full Height Receiver is a No-No. A Home Builder isn't required to submit a Prototype to ATF, only a Manufacture is, but the design must meet ATF Guidlines. I wouldn't recommend utilizing a TSMG "80%" Receiver, and building it to Original Specifications either, which would render the Receiver a MG, regardless how the Frame was set up. I'm sure there are other ways in which to construct a SA Thompson other than what Numrich had came up decades ago, and still use the Original Height Receiver.

Philadelphia Ordnance will make an 80% semi receiver email them. you may have to give them the specifications to alter a full auto receiver. Here is an email I sent them:

Do you or can you make an 80%

1927a1 receiver Like a West Hurley semi auto? Can I specify that the slots for the frame not be cut and or the rear sight not be spotted?

I am sure we can do this if I know exactly what you want.

Bob Bower

Philadelphia Ordnance

Hope this helps,

Richard

• 5 weeks later...

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Dec 8 2005, 06:33 PM)
I have a 27A1 Kahr with no rear sight I'm going to be selling here on the board for 5 bills + shipping.....

Looks like it found a new home.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif

This is really embareassing but which one of you yahoos did I promise this gun to? http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif I guess I must have deleted the emails......

1967 Gun Digest:

"Numrich has been attempting to design a semi-auto Thompson with a fool proof disconnector. In March, 1963, John Martin, president of Tri-State Tool and Die Co., Frostburg, MD., sent the writer photos of a semi-auto Thompson which, he said, has been approved by the Treasury Department's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Unit. According to Martin, his "Guerrilla" will use the 1928 action-modified for semi-auto fire only. Its specifications:

weight 11lbs.; over-all length 37.3 inches with 16-inch Cutts equipped barrel. The "Guerrilla" will be adapted to all 45 ACP Thompson magazines with the possible exception of the Type C. Martin says he will make his own frames and receivers-the most difficult Thompson parts to get-and the remainder, except for Martin's semi-auto feature and barrels, will be Savage or Auto Ordnance manufactured components. (As the Gun Digest goes to press, word has reached us that Numrich has designed, but is not in production on, a semi-auto Thompson with 16.5" barrel which is not easily convertible to full-automatic. Numrich states that, since his company holds the patents, trade-marks, etc., on the Thompson SMG, it is doubtful if any other company could produce a Thompson of any kind.-Ed.)