The 1920's-30's

Hello everyone ,

Ok here goes , i am looking to buy a tommy gun for a film , and also for collection reasons (as i am really intrested in the Mob and as you all know the "roaring twenties" was created by the tommy gun) anyway im no expert except i know where the tommy guns were used and on who, but now i want to buy one i would really like some expert help. The tommy gun that i want to buy has to be the one that was more widely used by the Bootleggers of the 1920's-30's (the one that was more common and is more related to gangsters/mobsters ) I do not know which version to get . e.g 1921 or 1928 . Also from searching on the web i can not see any visiable difference from the image of the 1921 tommy gun and the 1928 tommy gun they both look the same is there any difference ? or is it just the inside of them which is different . So please help me out and give me your expert advice i need it ! .

The early thugs would have used the Model 1921 Thompson. Very expensive to own. Your looking at $12-$25K each. If your thinking of the later gangsters like Dillinger and George Nelson(don't call him baby face), then you would have the 1928 model gun. You can find a 1928 in the $8-$15K range.It just all depends on how much you have to spend. What type of movie are you making? And where? Also most of the Mobs would have used the "L" drum. Not to many like to carry a extra 100 rounds of .45acp with them.

My grandfather told me once that his moonshine runnin' buddy carried one in the car with him when he made his runs in old Ky. My grandfather had it a couple of times but didn't like it. It probably ended up in a river in Kentuck.

What you want to do is go out and get Tracie HIlls book on the Thompson. It focuses mainly on the Colt model 1921 which is ideally what you are looking for. Also, you should make sure that your own local laws don't prohibit you from owning one. Good luck!

Thanks for the replys guys .......so you would both recomend the 1921 tommy gun, so that is the model that was most widely used by the gangsters of the 1920's-30's . Also what was the difference in the two models (the 1921 version and the 1928 version ) thanks so far. The Film is a mob film its within development but as i said i need to know which is the best one that would represant the 1920's 30's mob weopen.

Also i done a little history. Dillinger's tommy gun was the 1921 version. I got a link that i will try and put up. the gun is in a museum somewhere .

New member 5,

If money is no object (or obsticale), you can not go wrong with a 21.

I prefer the very early ones without the compensator, but I can not afford one of these gems.

If you have the money, and absolutly want a 21 for historic ties to gangs, you may want to consider getting a 28 also; as a shooter. 21's are very valuable and it is hard to find orginal parts.

Regardless of what you get, ANY registered Thompson is going to get more valuable with time.

Norm

It is really not going to make a difference in your movie if you use a Colt 1921 AC, Colt 1928 Navy, or a Savage 1928. The audience will never notice the subtleties anyway. Arthur Penn's "Bonnie and Clyde" used Savage guns in most scenes. The hack director Brian de Palma used West Hurley 1928's in "The Untouchables." You should probably more concerned with finding a TSMG that is adapatable for firing blank ammunition more than anything else. Would you invest $20K to $25K for a Colt TSMG and then place it in the hands of some unknown "actor" who may drop it?

well money is no object but i also want in for collectable purposes (as im really intrested in the mob) but as i said i want a gun that was widely used by the mobsters of the 1920's and 1930's

also when u say the difference is in the finer details what would they be .

so far i have taken into consideration of what everyone has said so i am at the moment thinking of buying the

1921 tommy gun with/without compensator as so far this model seems to be the tommy gun that is most related to the mobsters and gangsters of the 1920's -30's

thanks for all your help everyone so far.

All Colt model 1928's are actually 1921 models that had a few inernal parts changed out to slow the rate of fire from 900 rpm plus to 600-700 rpm. They were then restamped (hence the name 28 overstamp) with an 8 over the 1. They are both expensive weapons, very collectable and I would not let any garage gunsmith attempt to modify them to shoot blanks. Get a less expensive model for movie use and keep the originals for collecting. Just my .02

Thankyou Chopper . that information you gave was what i needed to know.

The Film is a mob film in the 1920's-30's span based on an irish mob and its rise to power and its mob war with its rival the italian mob. The Mob war plays a major part with great mob hits.

So now i have found out that the 1921 version is the same as the 1928 by appearence only the guns internally are different . That is great information to find out . The people that have given me information have been a big help . Thanks alot.

The only guns that could have been used by the gangsters of the 20's and 30's had to be Colt 1921's or 1928 overstamps as Savage and Auto Ordnance did not start producing guns until WWII. 1928 overstamps can be found with either vertical or horizontal foregrips. Only 20 round box magazines, 50 round or 100 round drums would be correct for that time period. 18 round shot magazines could also be found but I don't think gangsters would be very interested in spraying the opposition with bird shot.

New Member 5,

You might want to approach this two ways - 1) acquiring an original Thompson and 2) getting suitable Thompsons for your movie.

Blank firing replicas have alot less security and insurance concerns, particularly if more than one character in the script are so armed.

See our friends at eBay for examples.

MGC Blank Gun Thompson M1921 Fullset Marushin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=4726

QUOTE (Zoo @ Oct 25 2003, 02:11 PM)
From the standpoint of what they look like- the big difference is the vertical, pistol style grip under the barrel for the 1921 style, and the horizontal grip on the 1928 style.

Zoo:

Without consulting American Thunder, I am pretty darn sure that some 1928's had vertical fore grips.

This is a picture of a original Colt Thompson sold to a Police Department in December of 1927.

http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/1921_colt_Thompson_mint.jpg

This is 1930's Rust and a 1928 West Hurley Thompson. Looks very much alike from 10 feet or more away.

http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/drumdump.jpg

This is a 1928 West Hurley with a nocross bolt stock attached.

http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/my_bench.JPG