Broken Shell In Chamber

Does anyone know where I can get a 45 acp broken shell extractor. I've tried several places, but they only have 45-70 or 45 colt. Would

either of these work? Last time I was shooting my Thompson the rounds stopped chambering completely, and it appears the top half of a shell caseing is still in the barrel chamber.

Railroader,..the 45-70 trapdoor broken shell extractor is what I have used for many years...when heading to the range I never leave home without it... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Another trick that works quite well is to insert a cleaning rod from the muzzel end and then screw on the barrel brush from the chamber end. Pull back on cleaning rod so that brush enters area where broken shell is lodged and then push it out. When you push the chamber brush grips the shell casing and it pops out.

Thanks for all the advice. I tried what ODS9091 suggested, using a 308 cartridge case and it worked great. What I was wondering though, is this a common problem with Thompsons, case separtion? The gun is a West Hurley, which up untill now has run flawlessly, and I have been debating replaceing the barrel with one from a parts kit. Any pros and cons to it?