Sportsman's Guide Drums Up Again.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif I just don't see how in good conscience Sportsmans Guide is listing these for sale again when some of us have been waiting nearly a year and we still havn't received them. I guess I'm a little slow but I now do believe that they are listing these just to attract more members to the buyers club to get them to become members and pay the fee. This is next to outright fraud and I would suspect there must be some kind of law on the books that states that the vendor must have these items within a certain time period available before they can actually list them available for sale. This is discusting! The next expected ship date I was told would be June 30, that is the latest I will wait, then I will call and demand my money back from the buyers club fee that they charged me last year.

Mike Hammer

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate; they could have a loophole here. The fact that they ask us to verify whether we wish to stay on the backorder, seems to suggest it's for a legal reason. It costs me nothing to stay on, since I'm no longer in their dubious club. I'll just stay with them, adding to their burden of administrative costs and tossed catalogs.

What I would be interested in knowing, is whether or not any of these drums have been brought into the country by anyone yet? What do the more knowledgeable people on this forum think? It would seem rather senseless for SG to keep listing these drums, if in fact they have no intention of ever trying to import them. I for one, have not joined their buyers club, so it doesn't cost me anything to stay with it.

Purchased 24 of these drums at KCR in Oct 05. They were from an Eastern Block country. Twenty two of the 24 had never been loaded with ammo. The insides were mint and function was flawless but the outsides showed a lot of storage marking. As I recall there were 10 Seymour, 10 Bridgeport and 4 Crosby. There were signs of "parts swapping" indicated by the condition of the rotor locks. Some of the covers were mismatched and 2 of the Seymour drums had nickle rotors. I thought we had a new variant untill I noticed that 2 of the Crosbys had S marked Seymour rotors. Mystery solved.

The so called SG drums do exist. The question is whether or not they will be able to import them. Price may also be a factor. We paid a lot more than $400 for our drums even at the 2 dz quantity.

Bob D

Thanks Bob.

What I would further ask then, if the drums you purchased were imported, woudn't SG be able to import theirs, or have the importation laws changed regarding these items? I would assume, that if it is legal to import these items, and somewhere in Europe someone has them to sell, its only a matter of time before SG or someone else gets their hand on some to sell here in the States.

Phil,

Smoke and a few mirrors thrown in as well.

No I have not specifically pinpointed SGs supplier. Our seller was vague about how it all happened other than "Eastern Block" and a statement that Russia had been the caretaker of these goods.

The pristene 20 rnd mags, 5 cell 20 rnd pouches, 28A1 parts kits from unissued guns, etc have flooded the market playing hell with prices. All of this stuff is of Russian LL origin. Why there is so much mystery surrounding the drums is beyond me when all of the rest seems to have made it into the US without a hitch.

Your $100-200 sounds like a good ballpark number and I wouldn't be surpised if that's what SG wants to pay. Now if someone has "captured" the supply (and it is finite) then price may well be the issue. Interesting.

As I have relayed previously, I was told by Ryton Arms, a UK-based company who has been selling these drums in the US for the past 18 months or so, that these drums are coming out of Finland.

Thanks for posting the link to Sportsman's drum offer. I missed the original offering. I have no problem with waiting to see if these drums ever show up. It costs me nothing and if they do come in I will have a working drum at a decent price.

For those who have been complaining, there are WW II drums available (probably also came from Russia) for $500 to $700 dollars. Wait, or spend the extra cash, your choice...