Sick M1 Thompson, Advice Please ...

I took the M1 that recently came home out to the range today. I had fired the gun before and everything seemed to be in order.

Started in semi auto fired about 5 times, then the bolt stayed forward after the shot. Upon inspection found that the bolt is rigidly stuck in the closed position and the fire control lever is frozen in the semi position. Therefore the gun will not come apart.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is there anything I can do or does it have to go direct to PK?

Thanks!

It sounds most likely that something inside the lower has let go...there isn't anything in the upper half other than the bolt, extractor, pilot and recoil spring, and buffer.

I'm presuming you're using an M1A1 bolt...if you're using an M1 bolt, it's possible that the little pivot pin for the hammer may have sheared, dropping the hammer down inside the gun and jammed it up. The only times I've seen the culprit of a jammed Thompson being the extractor has been with a semi-auto, and at that time it jammed the bolt open (still preventing disassembly.)

Either way, you can try to remove the pivot plate (right-hand side of the lower...the piece with the three fingers.) Once you've got the pivot plate off, you can hickey out the safety, selector, and magazine catch. Getting those out and rattling the gun around a bit may dislodge whatever is inside the gun that's jamming the bolt in the closed position.

FWIW, I experienced a couple of run-aways years ago (when reloading on the cheap) where I had a primer back out of its pocket and tumble down inside the lower, locking everything up, but I could still retract the bolt when that happened. (I figured the primer issue was due to tow things...Federal primers bewing too soft, and regardless of what type of primer I used, using that crappy "Amerc" haedstamped brass...the primer pockets are waaaay over-sized (and the projectile is waaaay undersized.) Stay away from that ammo.)

First, you said after the shot... I assume this means it is unloaded, but be damn sure it didn't rack anoter round in the chamber and just not fire! Especially with a M1A1 bolt!!!

I would do what Bill mentioned. Then maybe use a lead hammer and GENTLY try to tap back the handle, it sounds like it may loosen up and retract.

Are you sure you have parts in correctly? You an easily reverse one (rocker?) and it will seem to go together.

I also assume you cannot remove the lower.....?

The gun has the M1 bolt installed. There is no round in the chamber. It fired and stopped with the bolt closed.

So to clarify: The bolt is rigidly stuck in the closed position. The selector is FROZEN in the semi position. So I can not get the lower off.

I have never taken the lower apart and in a previous shoot the gun ran fine.

It sounds like I need to dismantle the lower while its sill on the gun and hope that something falls free.

I have had similar experiences with my WH 28. It jammed with the bolt forward and I was able to tap the actuator with a rubber mallet and it freed up. Another time though I could not remove the lower becuase the sear was sitting up.

I would caution about removing the pivot plate and selector switches. That will loosen up all the sprung internals and get you in worse shape. I had to saw off the trigger to get things straightend out once. I keep the damaged trigger laying around to remind me of my folly.

What I would try first, and of course I write this last, if the tapping of the bolt doesn't work. First try to just remove the safety and insert a small angled allen wrench in the hole and try to depress the sear. ONce I figured that out it was a piece of cake. If that is the problem.

Good luck but don't get ahead of yourself. There is a thread out here from 2 years back where I went through this grief and got some good advice from PK. Like don't remove the pivot plate and selectors with the thing jammed up.

Before I did anything, I would use a mirror and a bright flashlight to look down the barrel to see if indeed there is a live round chambered or just an empty shell chambered. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

PLEASE, do not stare straight down the barrel! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif

Norm

A cleaning rod is a heck of a lot safer. Slide the rod down the barrel (Gently!) until it stops and stick your thumb or a piece of tape on the rod at the muzzle. Then lay it on the side of the barrel. If the end of the rod is near the front of the receiver, or on the barrel you have a LIVE round in the chamber. If the end of the rod is (about) an inch back from the front of the receiver, it's safe.

We have to do this to a friend's 08/15 Maxim all the time.

Doug

My WH 28 did this, of all place's Tracie Hill's shoot. It was the buffer pilot that broke and jammed. Now the M1 doesn't have the same buffer pilot, but it could be a broken rod or spring jamming the bolt.

I was able to get the gun apart. It appeared the pivot plate was out ever so slightly. I pushed it in and was able to turn the selector to full auto.

At that point the gun came apart. It appears the rocker is loose and got caught up somehow on the bolt.

I think I'll see about PK changing the parts in the lower!

Thanks everyone,

Michael

Michael,

I am glad you got it apart, and I hope the problem was only a minor one and caused no real damage.

Good luck in the future with it! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

Glad you got it!

Maybe a parts kit laying around wouldn't be a bad idea... I carry at least 1 set of most parts to every shoot. You never know...