Front Sling Swivel Location Vertical Foregrip

I am in the process of mounting a sling swivel on a foreward vertical grip.

In my copy of the illustrated book of guns it shows the Thompson M1928A1 with the swivel located on the left side of the grip. It also shows the rear sling swivel on the M1928A1 and M1A1 on the top of the butstock instead of the bottom. From what I have gathered these are British versions in those photos. It would seem to me that if the swivel was mounted on the right side of the grip there would be more room for your hand. Does any one know if the Americans started mounting the forward swivel on the right side or are we still half assing it the British way?

Thank's

M1Brian

Thompsons with vertical foregrips fitted with sling swivels are probably 1928s, not 1928A1s. As clarified by other responders, this was not a factory fitment. What is interesting to me is that a barrel band with sling swivel located just forward of the vertical foregrip was offered by AO in 1922. I have never seen this configuration or even a picture of it. Has anyone?

Doug, I have seen that picture, but cant remember where, it seems it was a drawing and not a photograph.

IMHO the sling should be mounted on the RIGHT not the left side of the vertical foregrip. I'll tell you why.

The only people who used vertical forgrips in combat were the British (that I know of). In almost 99% of the photographs that show British soldiers with Thompsons with a sling on them were located on the RIGHT side of the vertical foregrip.

My Thompson is a Brit Lend Lease gun. The sling is located on the RIGHT side.

Page 219 (figure 230) Tracie Hill's book show Churchill with a 1928 with the swivel on the RIGHT side. Figure 233 shows this again on a different Thompson. Figure 244 shows the same thing.

If you are looking for the correct look, I am of the opinion it belongs on the Right side of the gun.

M. Free's gun in Franks book shows a 1928 with it on the LEFT side. This is one of the exceptions. I would assume that was done for a left handed shooter when it was put on.

If you remember the pictures of my Thompson it shows in vivid detail the Sling swivel as being British and mounted on the Right. My gun is a US Model of 1928A1 and covered in Brit Proofs, is correct, never been refinished and matches.

Take care

John Jr

When I received my Thompson it had a barrel band sling swivel just forward of the front vertical grip. But since it's a lowly WH28 it doesn't count. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Kevin

if you put it on the left its very uncomfortable to the hand, despite that fact that the gun will hang better that way when the butt swivel is on the top.
Nonetheless here is a photo (cropped) taken at Newhaven on the morning after the Dieppe Raid, 20 August 1942. Other features of interest are the mannlicher sporting rifle on the officer at the right, and the No.4 rifle at the left (early use of this weapon)

Edited by Mk VII

I went to the Beltring, "War and Peace" show in Kent, England in July this year and of the 100 or so 28 and 28A1 Thompsons laying around for sale (all Brit dewat, of course) the ones with vertical fore grips all mounted the slings on the right side, one guy had THE Thompson used in the MOD (Ministry of Defense) Manual for the Thompson for the Brit army on display - 3 digit serial number '28, cut and welded all to hell, enough to make you cry. Same guy had a dewat FG 42 on display.

M3scout

MkVII is the man with the Mannlicher Lord Lovat?

The other problem with sling swivel on the left is you bring the magazine release against the body, and it may catch and drop the mag. Unhappily that is experience. As far as photos, it seems the majority of the vertcal grips had the swivel to the right. But in looking around the other evening, it appeared that many of the horiz grips were done on the left side.

Peter Laidler did an article on this in Thompson Collector's news which can be found online.

I appreciate all the info on the subject. I guess it's going on the right side because that's where it's more comfy for me. I'll bet that's the way the other 99.999% were mounted. Either way I like the feel of the horizontal foregrip better on the 27A1 and M1 but every now and then you gotta put that vertical on if not just for looks.

Thanks

M1Brian

Mr. Richardson sells replacement barrel's and has an optional cut in them for a 360 deg fron swivel.

I don't have a sling on mine but I have case with carrying strap. Never realy though I needed one to tell the truth.

BB

Brian: See my post on '28 sling attachment if you are considering adding a front strap attachment to your gun. It's back in the boards listed on Aug. 28 of this year. Good luck with your project. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mike Hammer

• 18 years later...

I just received a 1927A1 and a 100 Drum Mag for it. With the size of the drum mag, I decided on a vertical front grip for it. But, with the weight, I'm going for a sling as well. I REALLY appreciated all the information, contained here! The info may be many years old, but I still have to say Thank You. Now I know where to locate the sling mount.

British Enfield Sling Swivels, 3 pc Swivel with the Loop elongated. The Swivel is mounted on either side of the Vertical Grip Mount Screw for strength. The Elongated part of the Loop goes up to help keep the Sling out of the way of the Shooter's Finger. Sometimes the Swivel Base was just mounted on top of the Grip, other times it was inletted.

Ironically I was getting ready to do this Project when saw this Post about Sling Swivels, hope these Photos help.

post-258532-0-72986200-1640923384_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-61489100-1640923438_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-24582000-1640923499_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-00476900-1640923557_thumb.jpg

The Canadian Army produced instructions for their armourers, on adding sling swivels to the vertical foregrips, and relocation of the swivels on the horizontal foregrips and to the top of the Butt stocks. There is an example of that document, dated Nov 1944, shown on page 390 of Tracie's 'The Ultimate Thompson Book'.

Oh, attached are pictures I have on file of a Thompson that was recovered in Baghdad, following the fall of Saddam Hussein and it shows how the swing swivel was moved from the right side to the left side on the foregrip, during its service.

1928 Baghdad find.jpg

1928 Baghdad finda.jpg

Edited by rpbcps

Here is an M1A1 with British wood. I also have a similar setup on my 28A1 with a vertical grip with the swivel on the right side. I think with the swivel on the left side on the vertical grip would be uncomfortable if right handed

post-141-0-17182800-1641010563_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Roland the Thompsongunner