1921 Butt Stock

I neat idea popped into my head while I was discussing a stock project yesterday. Make a 1921 style/shape butt stock that will fit a 1927 without having to get the butt stock assembly attachment and grind away part of your frame. Here's how it looks in comparison to a standard 1927 stock. Only down side is with this contour you can't get at the button to take the gun apart without taking off the butt stock.

http://images.andale.com/f2/126/125/4386526/1071249687415_2127stock.jpg

Deerslayer! Try drilling a hole where the takedown button fits into (that hole you have in your bottom photo). Make it go all the way through to the bottom of the stock. You can disassemble the gun by sticking some sort of shaft (screw driver, nylon rod, pencil, etc) in the hole to depress the takedown button. Hence, no need to remove the stock to disassemble the gun. See what I'm refering to?

I thought about the hole thing, it would be great if I could put it at an angle so it would come out the rear screw hole. But the head of the rear screw ended up being very close to the surface (almost no countersinking) so there wasn't room for that. We'll see if the buyer wants an extra hole or wants to use a screw driver.

Dan

The front of the butt stock is just a trifle deeper. The long rear screw is just too long. An option would be to use another of the short front screws in the rear hole and then you could slim it down (we are talking about a quarter inch or so). I do have some reservations about doing that. We know the stock design is weak (that's why they put the bolt in) and drilling the big countersunk hole that much deeper would weaking the design even more. Of course the average shooter probably doesn't stress his stock as much as military action might so its probably not a big point.

I suppose a guy could shorten the screw a bit and still have sufficient threads to engage the frame. That would be the best answer.

Butt stocks made by me are $100.

Dan

Looks very nice, however I'm going to nitpick, the principal atraction to me of the 21/28 butstock is more room for the web of my hand. But your thinking is in the right direction.

BB

Again, Incredible inovations from "hobbyists" ( a term we use in the field of entomology if you don't have any initials after your name!). You would think that Kahr would come up with some of these things...?

Thank goodness for all you guys, and Damon, who is putting a lot of these in the works!

Keep it up!

Cheers, Zamm

Perhaps a (dummy) buttstock removal button like the original? could be used in some fashion, in such a way that it would contact the takedown button when depressed.

This also sounds like a job for damon too..if there is interest in such a thing..It would definately make the 1927A1 look a lot better! Although, there might be alot of accidently dissasembled 1927A1's though! Gee..this stock comes off? oops!

I just knew this idea would stimulate a little thought. The teeter totter button doesn't sound too tough to make, but I imagine the extra work would kind of come close to just getting the butt stock attachment kit and an assembly from Damon. This was kind of a no-fuss and no-extra-time-expense type stock solution for a guy that has a 1927 and wants the look of a 21.

Thanks guys

Dan

Dan...Looks good! Interesting ideas floating around here to say the least. There is a wood shop here in the next town over...Kingston that made a ton of stocks just like the one Dan showed us for some guy in Mass. Ring any bells anyone? The stocks were identical in every way and they said that this guy orders 500 at a time. They said he was up to something with them and I was curious about what. I think you just satisfied my curiosity Dan! To make a little teeter totter thingy that would release the receiver from the frame sounds doable. My concerns here have already been brought up by others in this thread.

1 (MP40 said) Guns may be accidentally taken apart! (not so sure if I like that but it is up to the consumer)

2 Is there a market for this? Maybe...but would like to know what happend to the many that the wood shop here made and why have we not heard of this before? This guy could be sitting on a mountain of these because they never caught on.

3 would the expense of this be close to what it would take to adapt to a removeable stock? Maybe. I would be willing to try this on a onesey basis but development would drive the price up for sure. Might be better off doing the conversion here.

FYI the guys at the wood shop in kingston do nice work but are not sticklers for detail. IMHO they put out stuff that is not as accurate as deerslayers. Perhaps there would be more excitement over the higher quality of dan's work and it may catch on better? Anyhow if it were up to me I would want the detachable setup for my money! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Well back to the drawing board...finishing up a run of about 70 slides. Also will be selling latches and thumb buttons seperately now. Still hope to have the first wave of frames done after christmas! All is moving along as planned so far. Also will now be doing the original RUST BLUE! I have employed an expert for this task.

Best,

Damon