New M1 Carbine

I took the plunge and purchased a new Kahr M-1 carbine from Jensen Arms of Pueblo, CO.

I have owned many original carbines over the years but was never sufficiently impressed with any of the post war commercial efforts (Universal, Iver Johnson, etc.) to actually buy one.

Kahr's web site has links to a couple of positve write-ups, one from American Rifleman, and these swayed me.

Examining the rifle upon reciept, I found it to be a fairly close copy of a mid WWII rifle. I'd go so far as to call the Kahr a reproduction, as it has type 1 flip sights, flat bolt, barrel band with no bayonet lug, and push button safety.

Upon field stripping, I found that Kahr had used steel castings for the receiver, trigger housing, and operating rod. These castings are well executed and indeed the smoothness and finish is better than most of the original guns that I have examined. The operating rod had the slight ring of high quality steels when I tapped on it. Most other steel parts are milled, and are very nicely done.

There are no pot metal parts on the gun. Everything is of steel or walnut.

All metal parts are finished in grey phosphate, with the exceptions of the bolt and rear sight, which are blued, and the butt plate, which is painted black.

The walnut stock and hand guard are very well done, fit perfectly, and appear to have been matched to each other for color and grain. Each has the same two diget number applied internally with a magic marker. There are small differences in shape from the originals that I have seen, but nothing jarring.

The rifle shoots to point of aim at 50 and 100 yards using original USGI LC ammo. I found no need to make the typical targeting adjustments to the front sight. Those who might wish to do so will have plenty of front sight post to work with. In 100 rounds, I had no failures.

The rifle is very light and handy, as it lacks the late- and post-war modifications that caused the originals to creep up in weight.

A new high quality reproduction khaki sling and mag pouch from atthefront.com finished off the effect, and the rifle looks like brand new WWII issue, right down to the receiver ring markings.

All in all, I'm impressed with this little rifle. I know of the Kahr - Moonie association, and problems with Kahr's quality contol posted elsewhere on these boards, but this is still a very nice effort! I can see that it might become quite popular with renactors and others wishing to keep the milage off of now expensive original pieces.

nice report i was going to order one to shoot up some desert.now you have convinced me to order one.now have to locate a bayo lug. { i like that look}and i have http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif a bayonet!

Ron

• 1 month later...

Jay after looking and handling one at the last gun show its good for reinactors, or just plain shooting at the range.not much else. i'd end up buying a original on the cheap.seen some for $550.00 at the show.postal meter and saginaw.and a few inland.i ordered one from a dealer and he sends it to me. no bayo lug.as promised. it's going back to him....

i only need one, i'm not going to hoard these things.

the a.o. is just what it is, fairly cheap fun gun. Ron :unsure:

Ha, glad you're hooked!

Back in the day, I bought every good carbine I could find for under $75.00, and believe me they were a plenty.

I did miss out on the "u-pick 12 bucks" barrel at Warshalls, old an said "waste if money" (he said that about the 79 buck Lahti too)

I bought a M1A1 that the old guy figured was worth $400 and was going to hold out 'till he got it...Most I ever spent for one at the time. I could hear the old mans ashes do a hand spring in the urn, he always hated that little gun. He was a WWII guy that said a real man shot a BAR, but would approve of a M1 Garand "cause it was of a decent caliber"!

Found an old pic of some of the stash. These were all bought before they started to re-import the carbine.

Did I see a tear?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4046/pic00039tm0.jpg

Edited by Bob

nice carbine pic Bob.yep things have changed in the past 50 or so year's.............now just a few will do me.... i :unsure: don't want to lug a two ton safe if i have to get out of dodge quickly.......

and who know's what the future will bring.from the days of the bomb shelter in every basement.Ron