Berben BM62 Production Total

MRJ

• 2 weeks later...

Mike -

Sarco offered BM62 001851 for sale in 3/01. Photo of rifle shows proper Berben '62 import stamping. Buttplate is unlike the unmarked black rubber type seen on many(or probably most) Berben '62s. This rifle has a ventilated pad with a Beretta Trident logo and appears to be dark red. It also had a bipod fitted after the gas cylinder was machined for it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

sorry for the late (very) post in reply to your enquiry re Beretta machining M1 Garand receivers and converting them to BM-59 standard. When I interviewed one of the Beretta staff that had been involved in the development and production of the BM-59 his description of the production line was that conversion of receivers was to closely 'mirror' that of 'new build' receivers.

To that end all the M1 Garand receivers were annealed and machined with carbide tools just in case the surface finish was still slightly crystaline i.e. hard. After machining and deburing the receivers were overstamped with two horizontal lines and alternating 'U's over the 'CAL .30 M1' stampings on the heel of the receiver and stamped 'BM-59' & '7.62mm' on the flat area behind the rear sight base. as well as the 'A' (automatic) & 'S' (semi automatic) markings on the front left of the receiver next to the fire selector. The receiver was then re heat treated and hardness tested.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Vic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Count me as a member of the BM-62 club with #214X. All the proper markings and nothing unusual about it except exceptional JRwalnut.

I've owned this rifle for ten years or so and found immediately it groups much better with the tri-comp, but I still have the short dummy.

Buttplate is plain, black, and crumbling. Finger groove stock.

• 1 month later...

I have BM 62 #0017XX. It has a red rubber recoil pad with a Beretta Trident on it. I got it in May of 1984. The store had two of them. He let me look at both and pick the one I wanted. Mine is all Beretta parts. The other had some SA parts I think. I know they were not Beretta parts. I think I payed about $600.00 or $700.00 for it. I have the original box. i don't remember how many magazines it came with, but I purchased more at the time. I also have a very good manual. I believe the manual was written by a Beretta employee in Accokeek. I talked to Beretta at the time I purchased the gun. I don't remember if the manual came with the gun or if Beretta sent it to me. I also don't remember if I got the extra mags from Beretta or Springfield.

• 2 weeks later...

I have BM 62 #0017XX. It has a red rubber recoil pad with a Beretta Trident on it. I got it in May of 1984. The store had two of them. He let me look at both and pick the one I wanted. Mine is all Beretta parts. The other had some SA parts I think. I know they were not Beretta parts. I think I payed about $600.00 or $700.00 for it. I have the original box. i don't remember how many magazines it came with, but I purchased more at the time. I also have a very good manual. I believe the manual was written by a Beretta employee in Accokeek. I talked to Beretta at the time I purchased the gun. I don't remember if the manual came with the gun or if Beretta sent it to me. I also don't remember if I got the extra mags from Beretta or Springfield.

I would enjoy seeing photos of the original box and manual.

Thanks!

David

I would enjoy seeing photos of the original box and manual.

Thanks!

David

Sir, I will try to get one of my children to show me how to post pictures. One reason I don't contribute more to gun forums is that I have no idea how to post pictures. I guess I should try to learn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought Berben imported #002245 new from a gunstore in the early 1980's. It had the black rubber pad. I loved shooting that thunderstick. It was a handy size. The gas cylinder/front sight base loosened after so many rounds and the parkerizing on the receiver started doing a funky crinkle thing. Mags were a PITA to find (at least cheap). I sold/traded it in the late 1980's as my tastes changed.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Waldo,

Hello! How many pages is that manual of yours and are there illustrations? Sadly, my BM62 box just came with the rifle and not the Cool, Uber, Vintage manual like yours. LOL Take care, everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Pete, I am sorry I have not replied sooner. I just looked at this, I did not receive any emails telling me there had been any replies to my post. The manual has 57 pages and a 6 page appendix. There are a few photographs in the appendix, but none in the manual. I purchased the rifle in Alexandria, VA. There was a gun store that was right on the Potomac River. I think it was called either Potomac Arms or Hunter's Haven. I used to go in to look around whenever I was in Alexandria. I thought it was a neat rifle so I bought it. Beretta's USA Headquarters is (or was) right down Indian Head Highway on the MD. side of the river, in Accokeek, MD. I know I did not get any extra magazines or the manual with the rifle. I think I got either the manual and some magazines from Beretta, but I may have gotten the magazines from Springfield Armory or one of their offshoots that had an add in Shotgun News. I think maybe something about Reese Brothers?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please add me to the BM-62 club. Berben import s/n 230X purchased approximately 30 +/- years ago. I believe that I'm the second owner. Came with a box, one magazine, but no manual (would pay for a copy, or if someone could scan one and make available). It has the P. Beretta receiver (no U.S. markings), a hard black butt pad, and I installed the tri-comp. (but still have the original). I don't believe the gun has been fired other than at the factory (I had a Springfield BM-59 and then got stupid and used it in a trade). Firearm came with an unusual grenade sight that mounts on side of standard gas block and folding grenade sight w/ gas cutoff). Others may be able to identify if this original or not. I'm traveling for the next few weeks but will send a picture when I return.

• 3 weeks later...