Patent Date Mag Question

I was reading Doug's Box Magazine book last night, and he indicates that he was not certain who manufacturered the Aug. 24/24 patent date mags because the ones he has observed did not have any manufacurers marks. I do have two 24/24 mags with no marks as he indicated. However, I also have one that has MSCO stamped on the inside. The two 20/24 mags I own have the MSCO stamp, as well as the Colt blank mags http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

The copyright on Doug's wonderful book is 1995, so perhaps new information has come to light since then, but does anyone else on the board have Colt patent date 24/24 mags with MSCO stamped inside?

Inquiring minds want to know......

Roger Herbst

Come on guys...nobody's got any information on their patent date 24/24 mags??? Or perhaps nobody owns any of these???

I'm just trying to clarify a marking/manufacturing issue, and I don't own a very large representative sample.

Thanks!

Roger

I think this question has been asked many time before - suggest you read old posts. Also Richardson book on mags to the best of my knowledge also has the answer.

Hi Roger,

I checked the four patent date magazines I have. Three are Aug. 24/24 and one is Aug. 20/24. Two of the 24/24 magazines have no internal markings. One 24/24 and the 20/24 magazine are marked internally MSCO. Hope this helps.

It lends credence to the speculation that Colt's subcontracted some of the parts to the original guns.

GIJive,

Thanks. That duplicates what I was seeing.

Ron A,

I had looked through the posts on the current and former board and found nothing that addressed this issue. As my post stated, Doug's book does NOT answer this question. However, your comments encouraged me to dig deeper. I found that the issue was answered in an article Tracie wrote in the TCN #131 on 15 August 2001. Though Doug had not observed the variety of Aug. 24/24 mags, Tracie and Frank combined to clarify the issue. I guess I need to find a way to catalog all of the excellent TCN articles so that I can find them more quickly.

The MSCO 24/24 patent date mags were the third run of XX mags, the first being the Colt blank mag and the second being the 24/24 with no special manufacturers markings. According to Tracie, the fourth run of XX mags is when MSCO made the date error and created the Aug. 20/24 mag.

Roger

TSmg28

Thanks for clearing this up - I was under the impression this has appeared on the board before. I am not sure it hasnt, but under some other title. In any respect, not unlike you, I had read the prior issue of TCN of the web and copied it for a notebook that I keep.

Again thanks

Ron A, I have 1 xx repeat 24/24 with MSCO stamped on inside,which I believe is the 2nd production run, the corrected date being the third,,,I think,hope this helps, KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif