Help-How to Secure Receiver Tube to Trunnion/Bushing

Can someone explain how the receiver tubes manufactured by the likes of Erb and Wilson were/are secured to the the trunnion? I know that wartime they were brazed (with what alloy?) and pinned. Later to speed and ease production-they were crimped or pressed.

Is the pin (and friction fit) enough to hold it in place for firing? If you have a plain tube-do you mate it with a trunnion for eternity?

Having tried to remove a very small portion of a torch cut receiver tube from a trunnion on a wartime piece years ago--I realized that the receiver becomes sacrificial as I found no way to remove it without destroying it.

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/52939-37-402/

Maybe someday....if I'm lucky enough.

Perhaps it's irrelevant as they just don't appear standalone anymore, but I've got a nice parts kit and don't know if I can afford a complete gun.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

In my experience repairing many MP40s, the barrel bushings were soldered into the tubes, as were the front sight bases. There is a mechanical stop as well. I assume that remanufactured Guns by Erb and Wilson, etc were also soldered. I have had a few Phoenix Armory guns in for work and they were soldered. FWIW