Which Rifle Is More Rare?

Pete

Hello all! As the title states: Which BM59 rifle is more rare? The newly sort of listed Benet Arms(auction #77432733), the more newly listed BM59 1 of 200(Auction # 77794513) on gunbroker with the never before seen heel marks (by me, that is) or the rifle owned by fellow board member, xenophobe, with the other never before seen heel marks (by me again, that is)? What sayeth the ever-knowing and wise board members???!!!

Pete

Edited by Pete

Pete

I found in my files a post from Battle Riles (American Backyard Forum) dated June 29 2005. It was posted by Jean Cantius. Jean had a letter from Bill Edwards from 1977. Mr. Edwards was the owner of Benet Arms and Gold Rush Guns in the 60s and early 70s. In the letter Mr. Edwards tells the story of the BM 69. Jean did not print the entire letter but only quotes. One of the quotes states only 120 BM69 were imported. The serial numbers ranged from high 1200s through the 1300s. Pete if you can locate the post it makes very interesting reading. I would have to say the BM69 is one of the rarest if not the rarest of the BM59 series of rifles.

Does anybody know the reason that there is no stripper clip guide for the BM69 Benet Arms model? Maybe, none available at that time, or a different armory in Italy built the Benet Arms rifles othen the Brecia or Pietta armories?

Does the BM69 have the winter trigger? Which BM69 importer had the bipod come with the rifle? I saw a BM69 but with a bipod here in Kissimmee at Ben Woodall's gun shop. Forgot who the importer was? Maybe, Springfield Armory. Could that be one? I did not see a Berben Arms or Benet Arms stamped on the side.

Pete - The Benet imported BM69 has the gas cylinder machined to accept a BM59 bipod. The Berben imported BM62 lacks the machining on the gas cylinder where the bipod clamps on. Neither the Benet BM69 nor the Berben BM62 had the gas cylinder machined to accept a Grenade Launcher spindle valve and GL sights. Springfield Armory Inc. offered two services to bring the 69/62 gas cylinders to BM59 configuration. For a cost of $72.00 for dealers ($104.00 retail) you could send your BM62 gas cylinder to SA. They would machine the cylinder to accept the BM59 bipod. The cost of conversion included a bipod. For a price of $110.00 for dealers and $158.00 retail you could exchange your BM62/69 gas cylinder for a BM59 cylinder including the spindle valve, GL sights and a bipod. These prices are shown on 1981 and 1983 SA price lists. MRJ

WOW!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Things you learn everyday!!! Boy, if one would want to collect the BM59 rifle, this is the place to start!!! Okay, fellows. What would your game plan be if you wanted to collect the different types of the BM59 rifle? Where would ya'll start with or at. Or, for those that have already started, what is in your BM59 rifle inventory. Lastly, how about a scenario in which you can select the types of BM59/62/69 rifles. What is exactly out there? THANKS TO ALL IN ADVANCE!!!

Pete

P.S. Did ya'll read what Andy from E(vil)bay wrote in regards to his internet business. He is on the "other" gun auctions sites. And if you see him in California, tell him Daniel and Pete said Hello. (He is on his dream vacation finally to the United States(the BM59 rifle, not only takes but gives back!) ...but his girlfriend won't let him do business while he is here! haahahhaa. I KNOW HOW THAT IS !!!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

BM69 imported by Benet did not have a winter trigger. The bipod was a $21.00 option. The ATF ruled on Dec. 10,1968 the BM 59 was legal to import if it did not have a " combination

flash suppressor/grenade adapters with outside diameters greater than 20mm."

All Springfield Armory BM59/62/69 were assembled in the USA with US and Italian surplus parts. They are not products of Beretta. Only the Benet and Berben Imports are products of Beretta and assemblied in Italy.

Now, if school was this informative and fun to learn! hahaha http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif So, am I correct to say that, the Berben 62 rifles had the stripper clip guide but not bipod and winter trigger and the Benet 69 rifles had no stripper clip guide and the option to have the bipod or not. Damn, I hope my Lotto numbers won last night...but I doubt it!

Berben imported BM62 do not have winter triggers nor are the stocks inletted for them. I have a Benet BM69, Berben BM62, and a Springfield BM59 (Beretta marked reciever. ) I found the BM69 by luck ,dealer thought it was a BM59.$1600.00 out the door several years ago.I looked for 35 years for one. With 150 imported I guess thats not too bad. I once owned a Springfield (Beretta Receiver) Nigerian BM59 heavy barrel. The quality was so bad I sent it back to Reese several times. Was never happy with quality so I sold it back to dealer I purchased it from. He brought one at same time and was unhappy with his and sold his also. This was about 12 years ago. Quality of Benet and Berben imports is top notch. If you compare receivers of the 3 types they all are differant. Not sure why but differant cuts on receiver. I believe Beretta used receivers from contract over runs.If fact Mr. Edwards of Benet Arms has said the receiver of the BM69 were from an Italian Army contract over run.

RDS,

Who do you think imported Xenophobe's rifle? Is it a transitional rifle from Springfield Armory waiting to become a BM59 rifle built from them? (original link: http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...t=ST&f=7&t=6012 )

Which rifle do you prefer to shoot from your armory, BM59, 62, or 69? Does your 69 come with BM59 stamped parts, like the bolt, etc?

Pete

Prior to 1968 a few semi BM59 were imported. At that time there was no requirement to mark importers name or address on the rifles. I like the BM69 the best. They all shoot great just something about the BM69. As a kid I read the Gun Facts article in 1969 and I had to have one. Remember at that time there were no M1As and M1 Garands were very scarce. There was however the cobbled up crap being passed off as BM59s. These pieces of crap are still turning up. Welded receivers, cut down M1 barrels with 2 groove 03A3 barrels used as liners, M1 bent op rods and M1 gas cyl. were used along with modified M1 trigger housings with square cut mag cut out. These trigger housing would crack at the square corners. There was some legit Beretta made M1 recervers imported by Santa Fe and possibly complete guns. I have pictures of one that was sold on Auction Arms in 2004 and American Rifleman has published pictures of them in past articles( Feb. 1994 page 22 and June 1999)