A Workout With Glen's Mag Anvil

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

Bridgeport28A1, on 22 Sept 2019 - 17:56, said:

ppgcowboy, on 22 Sept 2019 - 17:19, said:

Who did the wood? I was hoping this is what were talking about. I have one, it seems to have cut outs on the top that measures the lip separation.

I made the wood pieces, I also made some wood pieces that are the proper length for 20 round magazines. I think the ideal magazine anvil would be machined as a single piece that one could slide into the magazine body and have a stop to prevent from being inserted too far.

And fit snug enough in the mag body to be used to remove dents from the sides of the mag.

Edited by LSU Tiger, 23 September 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#22 Tiz

Tiz

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:Skeet, Trap, Reloading, Shooting, and anything Full Auto

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

It appears that this would be easy enough to fabricate. Basically two pieces of cold rolled steel welded to a steel bar.

What is the diameter of each of the pieces of steel rod? The diameter of a 45 ACP case? Most likely not since the rounds do not sit exactly side by side in the magazine, in that case a piece of steel rod could be turned on a lathe to that exact diameter.

I would love to tackle this project. Just provide the dimensions and I will give it a shot and let everyone know the results.

Edited by Tiz, 26 September 2019 - 10:04 AM.

#23 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

"It appears that this would be easy enough to fabricate. Basically two pieces of cold rolled steel welded to a steel bar.

What is the diameter of each of the pieces of steel rod? The diameter of a 45 ACP case? Most likely not since the rounds do not sit exactly side by side in the magazine, in that case a piece of steel rod could be turned on a lathe to that exact diameter.

I would love to tackle this project. Just provide the dimensions and I will give it a shot and let everyone know the results."

Maybe the owner could mic the rods.  I'd guess .010" smaller than a live round.

Edited by LSU Tiger, 26 September 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#24 Tiz

Tiz

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:Skeet, Trap, Reloading, Shooting, and anything Full Auto

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

"It appears that this would be easy enough to fabricate. Basically two pieces of cold rolled steel welded to a steel bar.

I would love to tackle this project. Just provide the dimensions and I will give it a shot and let everyone know the results."

Maybe the owner could mic the rods.  I'd guess .010" smaller than a live round.

Yea. I am hoping the owner of "Glen's Mag Anvil" will post that information. Better than taking a "SWAG" at the dimensions. I would try and make the steel bar the size of the inside of a magazine so it would correct any dents or other anomalies in the mag body itself as well a gauge the feed lips from the mag catch hole, and make the bar long enough for both 20 and 30 round mags.

I hope Catnipman still frequents the board.

Edited by Tiz, 26 September 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#25 Bridgeport28A1

Bridgeport28A1

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1549 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

Tiz, check your private messages.

#26 Tiz

Tiz

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 437 posts