1928 Deactivated Thompsons

Hi Gang,

OK, I'm I missing something here or what? This is like the third gun this guy sold to someone here in the States. ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...00&category=585 ). Do these folks know something we don't? Is there a loophole out there to get these pieces into the country. I wrote the seller just to hear what he had to say. This is what I asked him;

Hi, How are you able to ship these to the United States? Do you need a special permit? Thanks, Bill

( My fault for not making it clear, meant do you need a special permit to receive the item. )

This was his answer to me;

Hello Bill,

Yes, I have an export permit as well as deactivation certificate granted by

the Ukrainian government agency. It's advised that you contact your local BATF

office (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) and discuss your intention

with their representative. This way you will escape from any possible problems

that couls occur. Many my buyers did like that, however those who didn't also

received their deacts without any pettiest problems.

Hope this answers your question.

Sincerely yours,

Yura

Well at least he covered his backside by telling me to contact BATF. Kinda makes it sound like BATF gave their ok to some folks. Some didn't bother, but still got their guns without any problems! What do you guys think?

Bill

I have noticed that all of these questionable DEWATS are coming from parts of the former Soviet Union. It could be a setup as eBay is quick to pull anything qustionable on their auctions. It is funny how all of these seem to go to the end of auction.

Norm

I asked this guy specifically whether or not they could be brought into this country. Hi sanswer was verbatum of what is posted above.

Simple answer... stay away!

I know I will...