Sten Original Barrel

I'm plannig to rebuild a Sten (semi) from a demilled kit. I was wondering if there was any point in getting an original barrel or just go with a new barrel. I like the idea of having an original barrel, even though it won't be an original piece. However, I woudl be concerned that the barrel is pitted or damaged in some way. Any thoughts?

EEEWOWWW! Sure you want to do this? If I recall, from the classic book on STEN guns -- Lardner (?) -- STEN barrels had to be carefully fitted to the gun lest the bullets fly off at 20 degree angles from true! (Well, maybe not that much deviation. Maybe that is only true for the Mk.IIIs, can't remember, but I suspect that book (if you don't already have it -- which you probably do)would be worth it to you in embarking on your project. Just MHO.

The book is the 'STEN Machine Carbine' by my Friend Peter Laidler, I think it's out of print but second hand books could be about.

The Mk2 barrel was rotated until it aligned with the centre of the target and then it was marked with a line in line with the sights to indicate that the barrel should be assembled in line every time. On the Mk1 and 3 the barrel could rotate around when firing so accuracy could vary (Not that it was much of a problem on a close range machine gun). The Mk5 cured this by having a peg and slot to lock the barrel in the correct position every time.

I have my kit in now. I don't see any index marks or pin slots. I plan to plink with it. My only thought on having an original barrel was to have as original a Sten as possible, but I don't know that that matters when the receiver will not be original and the bolt will be modified.

I did take a look for Laidler's book, but it's awfull pricey. Maybe I should just buy it.

Does the barrel have a serial number? The mark is nearly always at the muzzle and in line with the barrel, it could be quite faint. The line was used when no number stamps were available to mark the serial number. Be aware though that the MPOI will change on a new receiver so any indexing mark will most probably be irrelevant.