Got The Mp44 Woes And Need Help.

Hi again;

Just drove up to PA and shot my first MP44. Neat gun but has problems.

The gun is fairly nice, rewatting could use some cosmetic work but gun shoots smoothly, super tight fit, buuuuut, front sight "tower" is purposefully twisted to the right-very awkward looking, makes forward part of gun look askew. Think I could handle the sight being twisted to right, but problem is, gun still shoots about 4ft to the left (from about 200ft). I assume this is not typical MP44 inaccuracy!?

So, now need to find out what gives and what can be done to correct the problem. (It was suggested that the sight be returned to a more standard upright position--as this would adjust the sight picture lining up front and rear sight to where rounds are hitting--but this just doesn't make sense to me. Thought if rounds hit left you adjust in the other direction. However, since it's the front sight being adjusted does that make a difference?? Maybe I'm missing something???-- which actually wouldn't be unusual.)

Any suggestions???? Any info on qualified gunsmiths who might be able/willing to help???

Help, please....Really would like to get the gun but couldn't live with it as is....

Thanks again, Terry.

mp44s are accurate rifles normally, i have no problem at 200 yds putting rounds on target with the iron sights with my mp44 and stg-44.

if it was rewat, did someone change the barrel and not put it on properly so the front sight post is off? the sight tower is pinned on to the barrel is this in the correct level orientation and you are saying the tower itself is bent?

to adjust sights on any firearm you push the rear sight in the direction you wish to move the impact. you adjust the front sight in the opposite manner. so if the front sight is pushed right the impact will be more left.

Thanks;

Guess it would have been more accurate to say the sight tower appears rotated (not bent) to the right.

I too thought barrel was not seated properly but owner (a class II manufacturer) assures me that it was the original barrel and was replaced correctly (indicating it could only go in one way).

However, had some new manufactured brass ammo that I used in the gun and noted slightly more expansion on bottom half of cartidge case (there's a slight "line" midway down, feels like a slight incline or ridge all the way around). Could this indicate improperly seated round (ie maybe barrel not properly seated)? Then again--is this normal case expansion in an MP44 (never seen this on my other guns)???

Thanks for any inputs.

Terry

if you closely look in the ejection port with the bolt back or take it apart for a easier look you should be able to see if the feed ramp machined into the barrel is aligned correctly or cocked in the same manner as the front sight post.

if its cocked you have your answer. the fact that the barrel was replaced would lead me to believe this is the case

• 7 months later...

The MP43/44 series of weapons has what is called a press fit barrel. If the sight is canted to one side then the barrel was reinstalled out of alignment to where it should have been. There is an 8mm pin that goes through the receiver lug at the front and should align with the barrel so that it is inserted with little effort. However, if it was installed slightly off center then the person who did that job might have wanted to do a quite fix and may have used a drill bit to make the pin placement align so he could insert the pin.

This if it was done would not be good for accuracy and could be the problem. The other thing is that if the barrel is shot out, then you need to get another one. Or have that one re-sleeved.

And of course the barrel could just be bent.

You can fit into the end of the barrel maybe a laser light and see if it shines and aligns with the sight picture you have. That may tell you what is wrong.

I find that the barrels are the hardest part to come by. That's why I would never sell my spare barrels.

Diane