Lock And Load

First machinegun I ever owned was an StG44. Have the first firing on tape somewhere. I preferred shooting these in a sitting position. Wear shooting gloves, the forearm gets very hot very quckly. Be certain of your target and backstop area are secured and safe for live ammo. Load 25 rounds in magazine and push finger into mag making sure the rounds move freely. You make sure weapon is on safe, insert loaded magazine, pull charging handle, ascertain selector is on E for single fire, move safety from s to f, fire a few rounds to test cyling, move selector to D for full auto, fire in bursts. The spent casings will be spread out in a 30 foot semicircle diameter area, so pickup will be difficult.

Thanks for the memories, I sold mine a couple of years ago.

one thing to remember on full-auto is to make sure you have a safe shooting area and fire in bursts for controllability versus just empty the mag which isn't proper technique

also these guys are pretty reliable but if you have an issue just play it smart and don't rush. generally the most common failure is one to eject. just pull out the mag and cycle the charging handle a couple of times to get the use brass out and any partially fed round. these guns are made on the loose side and it is possible to get a round to have its case head slide under the ejector then the bolt will be bound up with the brass case held by the extractor and pinched by the ejector. just take your time and work the bolt forward and it will then pop the case off. this happens very rarely but i have had it happen although i shoot a lot.

thanks,

alan

Edited by mp40 9mm

Start out in semi auto until you get a feel for it. (30-60 rnds)

Then load 5 rounds into a mag and try a burst. This way if anything does go wrong (runaway etc.) you only have 5 rounds in the mag. This would be a good thing with a weapon you are as yet unfamiliar with.

Try this few times because running through the complete cycle of loading, inserting the mag, firing, removing the mag will make you familiar with all aspects of the firearm in far shorter time. Repitition: the coner stone of education!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Once you feel comfortable with full auto then work your way up to a mag dump buy trying short bursts as suggested above.

Oh, and tell me where you are getting your ammo from http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Congrats on your StG!! Tell us more about it. Who made it and when? Over all condition? How many mags/accesories did you get with it? Maybe post a few pictures. This board could use some serious discusion on the 44

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sirs,

More info to come but I am making my own ammo. I have been reloading for many years, so I am confident in my abilities. I have 400 rds loaded so far. Am working in my spare time so that 's all I have in the year since I aguired the weapon. Also at this time money is very tight so componet purchasing is at a minimum.

When I get the hang of posting pictures I will do so.

I got mine as a dewat then had it rewated. I got one mag and that is it. I scour the shows and anywhere I can find for parts and pieces but as yet , nothing .

I was out of work for 2 years so things are very tight.

More to come.

Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Olakota

• 5 weeks later...

One of these days when I make my move to another house, I will unload my box trucks and will make some 1959 and 1961 Kurz ammo available for those who would like or do not have any. I do have a partial wood case left of the stuff but it is like all the other Kurz ammo corrosive, excepting for a few that were made with the special primer, and those are the 40's dated Kurz.

I also have at least 1 or 2 wood cases of the 1940's dated Kurz, some in 15 rd. little boxes and some in 20 rd carboard boxes on stripper clips. And then of course since the MP 43/44 series of arms is my passion, I do have the few singular Kurz that have various dates. The hard one is the 1946 dated though, that I've only seen one 15 rd. carboard box with them still in it. Now can you guess who has that box?????

I would be interested in knowing there is someone here on the board that has some of those and is willing to sell them to me?

I can meet whoever has some at the Knob Creek Event this week. I'll be there Friday and Saturday.