Modify 27 Vert. Grip

I am building a '27 Kahr to look more like an orginal tommy. For several reasons I don't want to go with a SBR.

I was thinking that Dan Block makes a horizontal fore end that is a 1/2" longer to help make the 16.5 barrel appear shorter.

My idea was a new grip mount that had the bolt hole a 1/2" further out, and a vertical grip with a 1/2" extra wood. I photoshopped

my Kahr to make a model of my design. I would use it on a barrel/comp that was cut down to 16.5 OAL.

Good idea? Crazy idea? Or should I go back to sleep and stop bothering everyone on the net? KJ

http://members.cox.net/tokyoirongold/GRIPMOUNT.jpg

KJ

I'm sure Dan can do the work right. I love my vertical grip I had him do. Along with that perhaps, give this a thought. Theres some folks out here that can shorting the barrel and weld the comp on so the comp will part of the barrel and the barrel after will total 16" inches. I think Doug can do this with parts. Maybe, PK can do or do the work. Perhaps PK can recontour the barrel so theres not so many fins and do the rest as stated before. Just a thought-adlake

The vert. grip in the picture is one made by Dan. I edited the image to move the comp back, the overall length of the barrel in the image is 16.5

After I get done mounting the 28 frame to my Kahr I was going to send it out to PK or Damon to have the barrel shortened like you mentioned. I just haven't decided if it would be worth the effort to make a new grip mount and have Dan make a new grip. Just looking for others opinions.

I made just what you are talking about once. Took a standard gripmount and cut it in half and welded a short section of steel in place to lengthen it out. Then made a grip to fit the longer hanger. Seems like I added an inch but I don't remember the lenght for sure.

People also talk about moving the comp back, how about taking it off all together and go for the 21A look?

I had thought of machining a mount from scratch, but your idea of welding is much better.

When I picture a tommy in my head, it is always a vertical grip, drum mag and comp. Just my personal preference.

When I get closer to being finished I will have to talk to you about making a longer grip. Kj