Browning Automatic Rifle Manuals

• 3 weeks later...

I started an article for SAR in 2009 that I have never finished completely, titled, "Browning Automatic Rifle Manuals: Documenting Service Life and Diversity." (Copyright David Albert, 2009) I need to spend about 2 hours to finish it up. It features 15 different BAR manuals currently, and I believe I have a couple more examples to add to the article. It certainly had a long service life, and I was surprised to find evidence of it still in use in the Army in the late 1970's.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Does that mean that the weapons were still in service in the 1980's, or were the publications kept for a certain amount of time after the weapon was no longer used? The example I have is from an Army Reserve installation in 1976, if I recall correctly.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Just means the manuals were in the system. SF may have had a few of the weapons still around for training purposes only. Since the system went digital a few years ago I would not be surprised if the manuals were still available that way.

While I was ordering those manuals I also had the pubs officer order me a set of the 1950s series of historical studies on WWII German operations. These were based on surviving German documents and interviews with German officers. Great information in those you don't see very often.

Received another in the mail while I was at the Creek.

FM23-15 Browning Automatic Rifle, Caliber .30, 1918A2 with Bipod dated August 27, 1940 on the inside, no date on cover. The manual came with Change 1 dated July 15, 1941 and Change 3 dated July 10, 1942.