Kahr Serial Numbers/production Date

I've been reading old posts on here for the past 4 hours soaking up all the good info but now my eyes are about crossed,lol. Could swear I read one recently about Kahr serial numbers/production dates that I was going to post this in but can't find it again. Anyway after reading one post from back in 2004, there was mention by two members in that thread about seeing/having new Kahr 1927A1's with serial numbers in the KDxxxx range. Someone else in that thread speculated that the second letter in the serial number prefixes indicated production year, for example KA=2000, KB=2001, etc. Out of curiosity I pulled mine out of the case and looked at the serial number which is KB22xx. It's NIB Commando model and just came in to the dealer within the past 90 days. So I'm wondering if there is any production date sequence relating to serial number prefixes, has mine been sitting in a warehouse for the last 8 years, or is it one that had been previously returned to the factory for some reason and has been sent back out as new? I'd be interested to hear from other owners who purchased one NIB and might care to share any info on their serial numbers and purchase date. FWIW mine has the following features that I noticed some variation on in the older threads: compensator pinned all the way through, paddle type safety with hole, rear sight base attached with screws, round early style cocking knob, and serial number also stamped on frame under rear grip area and on the underside of the receiver in the frame latch area.

azmtnforester...

I would be interested in any response received on your question, as I also own a Kahr Thompson 1927a1 Commando that I bought at a PA gun show back in July 2007 with serial number KB186x. Cost was $850 out the door...and I have since bought a 50 round L drum from Kahr ( $300 ) and ten 30 round / ten 20 round sticks ( $20 per ) to feed her. ( I had to use a dremel tool to elongate the catch hole on the stick mags for them to lock in and feed properly )

Here's a few pics:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/TOMMYGUN1927a1small-1.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/THOMPSON1927a1SMGsmall-2.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/TSMG30RNDSTICKS.jpg

Edited by Gunnutz13

Thanks for the reply and the pics. I've got to work on my pic posting skills. I was just looking at another Commando on Gunbroker that was #KB0958. It had the old style safety and a "cheese-grater" style cocking knob. My previous emails to Kahr have been unanswered, maybe I'll try again. Have you taken any of your wood off and looked at what's under the paint? Some of the earlier ones were walnut, mine got poplar or something white colored so I had to buy new pieces instead of a refinish.

azmtnforester...

No, I haven't looked under the wood yet. I did, however, call Kahr to see if they would paint (black) a vertical grip that I could swap out the original horizontal grip for...waited a week...then emailed customer service the same question.

Reply follows:

Sent: Wed 8/01/07 7:57 PM

To: GUNNUTZ13

Good Afternoon! Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the Vertical Foregrip is available in the Walnut color only, and not in Black. The price for the Vertical Foregrip is $58.30 and you would need the Vertical Foregrip Screw also, which is $7.70. There is a standard shipping charge of $9. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank You

Kahr Customer Service

----- Original Message -----

To: sales@tommygunshop.com

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:53 AM

Subject: BLACK Vertical Foregrip availability question

Good Morning…

I am the proud owner of a Model T1-C and would like to know if I can purchase a BLACK vertical foregrip to match the black furniture of my 1927A1 Commando.

Please include the total price…including shipping / handling as well as the part number that should appear on the parts order form...I will be sending my order in through the US mail.

Thank you.

GUNNUTZ13

================

You can have any color you want...as long as it's WALNUT :rolleyes:

My pics are hosted at Photobucket...once uploaded from your PC you just click on the pic and right click to copy the IMG link, then paste same in the body of your post area. Simple really !

Edited by Gunnutz13