charging handle fell off

shooting the mp40 tonight and the charging handle fell off

these are just hammered into the bolt? looks that way

so it has the on/off safety...how do i remove this part for the new charging handle...i put the body in a vice and pushed the ball and pulled....it wont come off easy....whats the trick?

Safety type handles were originally attached in two ways. For retrofitted MP-40s that originally had hook type handles, the original handle was drilled out and the new safety handle was then welded into the bolt, from the inside. The weld was then ground smooth. This is very distinctive. Later guns had the handle crimped in from the inside of the bolt. The problem with this crimp is what you experienced: when the handle loosens up it'll eventually fly off. Trying to crimp the handle back in just results in the same problem. Fixes like JB Weld (epoxy) just will not hold. PK can do an amazing job of repair. You will not be able to tell that anything's been touched. He can use the original handle.

There are reproduction handles out there, but I don't know how well made they are.

Edited by TSMGguy

Bob Naess Black River Militaria repaired mine when it fell off, you cannot tell it was repaired

but what do you expect from a Man who Obviously was a Wehrmacht armorer in another life

Bergflak has them for $25 each...they are originals....

i grabbed (2)

i have (2) spare bolts, one with the safety and one without...so i just transferred the safety onto the other spare bolt

there is nothing left of the old handle...its beat to hell

i am considering using the FPB handle/spring setup instead from now on......gotta learn how to get the spring out of it and swap it to a mp40 spring....something to learn tomorrow...anyone have a good link?

Thanks for all the above advice and comments.....ive got several welding/metal fab friends now, so if i decide to run a mp40 bolt ill get it worked on