Atf Mission Statement

Talk about curio & relic status in some of the threads have gotten me to thinking. I was wondering if the ATF or other agencies have ever publically expressed their appreciation for weapons of historical significance, maybe in a mission statement or letter. The natural tendency is to cynically say that they don't give a damn; just get them off the streets. Certainly, that seems to be the perception in many cases. However, that doesn't explain why we had the Amnesty registration, and our present C & R classification for certain firearms. It would be easy enough for the Feds to just do nothing.

The C&R classification was created by the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and I am sure it was not inspired by any bureaucrat at ATF. My guess would be that the NRA is more responsible than anyone. Before this anyone could order a gun thru the mail, as Lee Harvey Oswald did.

If I recall correctly, the amnesty was the court ordered result of a self incrimination problem involving GCA68.

They didn’t ‘give’ us anything, although they still have the power to authorize an additional amnesty at any time.

Thanks guys, for the great insights. I was hoping that deep within the bureaucratic ranks there was some entity looking out for our interests. Maybe there is, but I think Phil put it in perspective, considering the nature of their jobs. I guess it still comes back to the the fact that our collective and relentless voices are the major catalyst for our cause.

Phil, I seem to remember reading the statute, some time back, and as I recall, one and possibly two amnesties are authorized. (In that the law was passed and signed by Potus).

Now if it ever becomes implemented? I wouldn't give long odds. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

I'll look around for the cite if I get some free time. I'm pretty sure it's on the NFA website recently set up. Two or three guys post about it over on Bowers regularly (the NFA board, but I just can't recall the site, sorry).

I believe it's nfaoa.org ?