Aluminum vs steel receiver

Hello All

I had a 16" bbl 1927 in the late 80's. It felt awkward and unbalanced to me, so I did not keep it very long.

Recently I saw an ad for one with the aluminum receiver and it got me thinking that might be a good SBR.

Do those have any drawbacks or problems?

Thanks

About 8 or 10 years ago I purchased the aluminum recovered 1927 with the intension of SBR'ing it. I shot it while my Form1 was being approved. After only 250 - 300 rounds the receivers stretched and the upper to lower fit became very sloppy. So bad that I had a ton of malfunctions. I had BATFE amend the registry to show it still a title 1 gun as I never purchased the 10.5" barrel for it. I later sold it for $250 more then what I paid so even with the loss of the tax stamp I still came out $50 ahead and the person that purchased it knew the loose upper to lower fit but wanted it anyway.

Bottom line is I would not touch the aluminum 1927 again. That said I purchased an all steel 1927 to SBR it. My stamp came in a couple of weeks ago and I am having a 10.5" 1921 style barrel made from a company called Thompson Barrels. They make barrels to Colt specs in any style you want (finned, no fins, square fins, radius fins, etc).

Thompsons were never very ergonomic and weighed a ton but that is what you put up with if you want a piece of history.

Edited by MadDogDan

About 8 or 10 years ago I purchased the aluminum recovered 1927 with the intension of SBR'ing it. I shot it while my Form1 was being approved. After only 250 - 300 rounds the receivers stretched and the upper to lower fit became very sloppy. So bad that I had a ton of malfunctions. I had BATFE amend the registry to show it still a title 1 gun as I never purchased the 10" barrel for it. I later sold it for $250 more then what I paid so even with the loss of the tax stamp I still came out $50 ahead and the person that purchased it knew the loose upper to lower fit but wanted it anyway.

Bottom line is I would not touch the aluminum 1927 again. That said I purchased an all steel 1927 to SBR it. My stamp came in a couple of weeks ago and I am having a 10" 1921 style barrel made from a company called Thompson Barrels. They make barrels to Colt specs in any style you want (finned, no fins, square fins, radius fins, etc).

Thompsons were never very ergonomic and weighed a ton but that is what you put up with if you want a piece of history.

I couldn't agree more. Steel is the way to go. Hey, you seem to know your stuff. Can you chime in over on this thread?http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19835&hl=