Two Questions

Q.1 : I was looking at my SA M1 Thompson's bolt and the three springs in the receiver, and was wondering if I could get by with the main bolt spring. I saw ppk's new Thompson pics (lucky dog), and the pic that shows the bolt in the receiver has only one spring. Nice Thompson ppk. I was wondering, if the FA has only one spring, why does the SA have three springs? I can see where only one spring would make pulling the bolt back much easier, but would it affect its shooting ability?

Q.2 : I have a brown leather box that measures 5" x 2" x 3 1/4" high. It has BOYT 4-43 under the top flap above the strap catch. I saw a picture of one just like it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, and the description said it was some sort of Thompson parts box. I have had the box for about 18 or 19 years now. I had no idea what it was for when I bought it. I thought it was some sort of camera box. All I knew is I had a WW2 issue .45 holster with the same manufacturer on it, and the box had a WW2 date on it. It did not have any straps or belt loops on it when I purchased it. Please do not be too hard on me now, but I carefully drilled four holes in the back and cut a slit down between the holes making belt loops. I did this when I was young. Is this box rare or common, and what was it used for? I did find that it perfectly holds six loaded 1911/A1 clips with little room for movement. Because of this, I thought it was some sort of experimental magazine pouch. It also hold a huge amount of .22 rounds. I am sorry that I do not have any pictures of it. I do not have a digital camera. Thanks.

Scott

The FA guns have only one spring because they fire from an open bolt, the SA has two bolt springs and one firing pin spring (the one in the middle) and fires from a closed bolt..

The M1 bolt is heaviest of all the TSMG’s and uses it’s mass to resist the pressure generated upon firing. The SA gun has the lightest bolt of all the Thompsons and uses the two heavy bolt springs to resist the firing pressures.

Can’t help with the box, sorry.

Others will know better than I, but the three springs in your SA are part of the modifications imposed on the manufacturer to prevent conversion to FA. You'll find that a FA bolt will not fit your receiver.

The box you describe is a spare parts box for the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). Note that its size and shape allow it to be carried in a pouch of the WWI or WWII BAR magazine belt. You'll quite often find these referred to as Thompson parts boxes, and they may have been used as such, but 'taint so. USGI pouches for TSMG spare parts were small canvas affairs, with a single flap with snap, about 4"x4". I've seen these in colors ranging from khaki to dark OD.

The leather box that you have is pictured in Mr. Hill's book on page 357. The canvas pouch that Mk VII showed is pictured on the same page. The leather box is described in TM 9-215 (Thompson Submachine Gun, Cal. .45, M1) dated October 19, 1942 as, Accessory and Spare Parts Case M1918. It is also described in BAR manuals of the same era. Obviously it was used for both the Thompson and the BAR. They are becoming harder to find now-a-days and it is a collectable Thompson accessory for Military Thompsons.

In the manual mentioned above, there is also a Fabric Envelope described. "This is an olive-drab cotton duck envelope 3 X 3 1/8 inches. It is used to carry tools and accessories." I own two of these and one is more or a tan color with no markings and one is the light olive drab and clearly marked "Envelope, Spare Parts, M1, 5559588". I don't know of any tools that would fit in this envelope but it is very handy to carry a spare firing pin, firing pin spring, extractor, ejector, hammer, hammer pin, and several other springs. Both envelopes have a button snap closure.

Hope this info helps.

Rob

M1Tommygun--

Just thought I'd mention something, in case you didn't know. Dave on this board has developed a system of springs and buffer that would allow your semi Thompson to be easier to cock. He is still awaiting paperwork before the are sold, but keep an eye on this board for when they will become available. See earlier post: http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...ct=ST&f=3&t=200