2 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpy

Grumpy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 03:13 PM

Hi Gang!
Playing hookey from work today and was checking out ebay. Saw this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/...tegory=585&rd=1
The guy says it has Turkisk writing for safe, fire, etc.
Did the Turks build their own Thompsons?

#2 Mike45

Mike45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:shooting,hunting,fishing,drinking,eating.

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:28 AM

Grumpy, I have a Turkish lower, dont know what else they made, assume all of it.Milling done with dull tools. ph34r.gif The trigger,sear,rocker,etc are different from standard. Stock will not fit w/o mod. I asked on old board 2-3 yrs ago about this subject, got no info. I have seen several for sale in past few yrs.

#3 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:12 AM

I ran across a referance made by a Canadian UN officer, said the Turks made some in Cypres, production estemated at 10,000. The recevers were 2 pieces of brass welded together, most of the parts excepting the barrels were hand made on the island.
I don't doubt that would work as I saw a pic of a hand made brass or bronse tommy confiscated from a member of the IRA.

The Captains name is J. M.Gagne and one of the turkish tommys is in the Royal 22 Regemental Museum.

Hope this helps
BB