1919 .303 Barrels

A buddy of mine has several 1919 Browning barrels that appear to be chambered for .303 British. Anybody interested and if so, at what price? He's reasonable and is looking to actually sell them, not hold onto them for the next 10 years. Please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Edited by billie32

I would be very interested in one, contingent on price. I have a few thousand rounds of surplus .303 and only the good .303 works in my Bren(the 1919a4 has somewhat adjustable headspace which might allow the bad 303 ammo to work just as the nasty Bulgarian Russian ammo can be made to work). I am assuming that my 8mm front cartridge spacer would work because both rounds are about the same OAL and my bolt for 7.62X54R might work(It is close in diameter the two rounds although the 7.62X54R is slightly larger which is case for concern that it might not slide down the bolt channel properly and consistently). I am almost positive that the bolt channel would have to be modified to work with this .303, to get it to function well as 7.62X54R mods are larger than the .303 would require. Without Troy's(from Barrelxchange) 7.62X54R conversion I would not even be thinking about this. So if I wasted $100 on a barrel that might not work I would be willing to do that because it would be an experimant!.zatarking@aol.com Edited by Luke

• 1 month later...
ok, I got a few from the guy to see what the market is like. Have included a picture of one of the barrels. Excellent bore. I need to get around $100 shipped apiece for them. Please let me know if anyone's interested. Not so sure if they're 1919. They appear to be for aircraft guns of some sort.

auctionarms_1082.jpg

auctionarms_1083.jpg

auctionarms_1084.jpg

Are you the one we answered to on the 1919 board? If not , then the .303 cal and the light bbls would prob'ly mean the British Browning aircraft gun which is basicly thier version of our ANM2 . It is based on the 1917/1919 series , but everything is smaller / lighter to boost the RoF from 5-600 to 12-1500. If so , then the bbls are too small in diam. and thread to fit a 1919.

If Belgian , then it should not be .303 and would be a bbl for thier FN-30 series , which , I think , will fit the 1919.

HTH , Chris

• 11 months later...
i'm not on the 1919 boards.still trying to figure it out. i have to dig out some cartridges and try them, however, the parts guy i got a few from said that they're .303

If they are defo .303 then they must be from our Browning Aircraft guns. We used our 1919A4s in .30 cal right up to the 1990s.

This is my British 1919A4 converted to L3A2 which is a open bolt system.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/m3bobby/DA0019m.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/m3bobby/DA0019y.jpg