Op Rod Jumping Off Bolt Lug

diblaja

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. Occaisonally, my Nigerian BM-59 would malfunction with the OP rod jumping off the bolt lug on its recoil cycle. When this has happend the bolt would be stuck locked in the breech. I would have to take a wooden block and knock the bolt lug to unlock it. The cartridge would extract along with the bolt and the cartridge did not exhibit any over-pressure symptoms. This happened with military surplus ammo with a 147 gr. bullet. I first attibuted this to a dirty chamber so I cleaned it thoroughly and even went on to polish it very bright and the problem will still would happen -- I guess it would occur from anywhere between 20 and 70 rounds. I then polished all of the rub points with the bolt -- OP rod -- and hammer and used LOTS of grease. I fired the longest series of rounds through it and so far the problems hasn't come back and I even have not cleaned it. However, I spoke with Jim Swartz, who is a very experienced Garand OP rod bending technician, and he said the problem Im having is usually from a worn down OP rod guide or the reciever channel being worn. Before the polishing I changed the OP rod with a new one from Reese Surplus and that did not cure the problem. Im not 100% confident that the problem was solved with the polishing.

So let me know if you heard of this before.

Thanks

James

It could be a problem with your gas-port being slightly mis aligned with your gas cylinder or the ammo .

I would try a different type of ammo and see if the problem reoccurred.

Some rifles are pickey about the ammo that they function with.

Just a few things off the top of my head .

Let us know what you find ?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately the malfunction occured regardless of which ammo I used as I have tried several brands of surplus military ammo. I have only a small amount of Radway Green left so I started using my own reloads with a moderately slow burning powder that has a muzzle velocity of 2820 fps (+- ~ 15fps) with a 147gr. FMJ. I verified the velocity with a chronograph. I fired somewhere around 200 rounds and the rifle has not malfunctioned.

It could have been the gas cylinder was not in proper alignment since a couple of times I found the gas plug had worked its way loose. Since then I now tighten it down by using a similar approach as with the M14 cylinder wrench. I also read where the integrity of the gas system could cause this kind of problem to happen specially if the gas port were worn. Another option Im going to persue is to send to Jim Swartz a new OP rod along with a casting of the reciever channel. He said he would add enough material to the OP rod guide so it could be made to fit snug in my reciever.

I will keep working on it.

On my Nigerian the piston on the op rod almost comes out the gas cylinder shelf . It is almost as if my op rod is a little short in length. I purchased the op rod and and barrel from Reese, gas cylinder was new in the wrap.Mine functions just fine. This might be something you want to take a look at as well ? You op rod could be coming out and jamming the bolt and coming loose.

Do you have to install the op rod in the gas cylinder every time this happens ?

Mike

Hi Mike

I actually had a long telephone conversation with David Reese on the OP rod length and Op rod bending. He explained there are two lenghts of OP rods for the Bm59 and the Nigerian takes the longer of the two. I mesured the two rods that came with my rifle from the button piston to the square end that butts up against the receiver. One is 13 5/16" and the other is 13 7/16". Collen measured their Op rods and one was 9+ inches and the other was 13 5/16 inches -- so the shorter 9 inch rod is for the Garand style stock and the longer for the Nigerian stock. The part numbers for my two Nigerian Op rods are the same but slightly shorter rod is a Springfield Armory part and the other is a Beretta part -- 6535382SA and 653582PB respectively. Im not sure if the 2/16" makes any difference.

In answer to your question, the OP rod does not come out of the gas cylinder when the problem occurs. Mine too is very close to the end of the cylinder on its farthest most point of travel but the square end, where the handle is attached to the rod, hits the receiver which prevents it from coming out. I wanted to get a replacement cylinder but Reese does not have any more available.

At this point I don't know what else I can change/modify other than the option of sending off my spare Op rod to Jim Swartz. So in the meantime as soon as the weather permits I'll run another 100 rounds through it on semi-auto.

James

• 4 months later...
James I will measure mine soon just so you have another measurement to go by.

It could be the tab on your rod also. Does the rifle malfunction with both op rods or just one ?

By the way how is your barrel marked ?

Hi Mike

I haven't visited this board in quite a while and was wondering if you had a chance to measure your OP-rod. From how you described your op-rod it sounds like your's may be shorter than the ones I have. Maybe Dave was mistaken. Also I found a gunsmith that is familialr with op-rods jumping off and I'll be sending my gun to him next week so any info about your op-rod will be helpful

thanks

James

James mine measures out at 19 7/16 " from top to bottom .

I apoligize,I totally forgot about measuring the rod until your latest reply .

Hope this helps ....

Mike

Thanks Mike --- I'll compare that to mine and make a note to my gunsmith --- Let you know how it works out --- My gun will be out for several weeks though