Bm 59 Muzzle Brake (mb)

4 Brigada

Hi Everyone,

Happier than pig in the mud until I tried to install the BM 59 MB, it would bottom out and time about 0.098 before it contacted the gas cylinder. If I moved the gas cylinder forward, it would loose the alignment with the gas port on the barrel. There doesnt seem to be any contact with at the muzzle, so Im thinking I ran out off threads on the MB or have too much threads on the barrel :) First has anyone ran into this problem before. Second can someone please measure the threads on their barrel.

Cheers

Walt

Hi Everyone,

Happier than pig in the mud until I tried to install the BM 59 MB, it would bottom out and time about 0.098 before it contacted the gas cylinder. If I moved the gas cylinder forward, it would loose the alignment with the gas port on the barrel. There doesnt seem to be any contact with at the muzzle, so Im thinking I ran out off threads on the MB or have too much threads on the barrel :) First has anyone ran into this problem before. Second can someone please measure the threads on their barrel.

Cheers

Walt

Walt what type of barrel do you need the threads measured on ?

I would be happy to check mine and measure for you , I just need to know which one .What are the markings on your barrel ?

Thanks...Mike

Hi Mike

My barrel doesnt have any markings, I purchased it from Reese about , 6 years ago. It has 4 gas checks near the muzzle and Im using the cut down Tricompensator muzzle brake for the BM 59 also from Reese. I did put some permanent marker on the muzzle and it is bottoming out it (shows contact). A little frustrated , since the not BM 59 parts all went on without a hitch , and the BM 59 parts are the ones that are giving me grief. Will probably increase the depth on the MB. Its the cheapest part. About how much of the gas port is lined up with the gas holes in the gas cylinder, the best I can get is 0.040 (paper clip) and there is still a gap of 0.013 between the MB and the gas cylinder.

Thanks for your help with this

Walt

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Walt

Walt what type of barrel do you need the threads measured on ?

I would be happy to check mine and measure for you , I just need to know which one .What are the markings on your barrel ?

Thanks...Mike

Walt , I have a Silma marked barrel also purchased from Reese and it measures 18 3/4" from the receiver to the muzzle.

This barrel is too long for installation of my BM62 faux break by about 1/8". It will not be a problem much longer , I am having it chopped to 16 1/2 "and recrowned . Which breal are you calling the cut down tricomp ? Are you referring to the one that is the last 4" of a tricomp ?

This barrel is a bit longer than the one on my BM62,which I can install any of the breaks on with no issues at all it is 17" long.

Hope this helps ....

Walt - took one out of the safe last night - SILMA 19/1 308 barrel 18 3/8" from receiver to end on barrel, gas port is 15 1/16" from receiver, OP rod is 9 3/8". I have no problem with what ever I want to screw on the end, I line up the gas port with a allen wrench and shine a bore light up the barrel. Take it to the range and the worst, is that I have to screw the tri-comp in or out by one turn and reinstall the gas plug. The only thing I haven't tried is the blank firing adaptor. I don't understand the 4 gas checks, could you explain. HTH, Art

Hi BM,

Thanks for getting me the info, my barrel measures 18 5/8" from the receiver ,the "gas checks" is my own designation, they are grooves cut in the barrel, 5 total, all in about a inch back from the muzzle. I did the gas port alignment as per your directions. Thats when I have a gap between the gas cylinder and the muzzle brake just about the size of the gas port. If I move the gas cylinder forward to close the gap,(because the MB is bottomed out) , I loose the gas port alignment. My camera is not working so I cant post a pic right now. But Im very patient so I will post it soon.

Mike the muzzle brake that I have is the cut down tricompensator, the part closest to the muzzle. Since I live in the occupied territories of Kalifornia, Cant use the "Tri" because it is a flashider and a grenade launcher its considered an evil feature. Cant have those (Flashiders) with detach mags.

Thanks Guys

Walt

Walt - took one out of the safe last night - SILMA 19/1 308 barrel 18 3/8" from receiver to end on barrel, gas port is 15 1/16" from receiver, OP rod is 9 3/8". I have no problem with what ever I want to screw on the end, I line up the gas port with a allen wrench and shine a bore light up the barrel. Take it to the range and the worst, is that I have to screw the tri-comp in or out by one turn and reinstall the gas plug. The only thing I haven't tried is the blank firing adaptor. I don't understand the 4 gas checks, could you explain. HTH, Art

Walt - might I suggest the following, since I doubt that you have a 'thread chaser', take off the gas valve so you just have nothing but the threaded barrel. Once you do that, if you have some 'anti seize' paste, put some on the barrel threads, then take the tri-comp - and start screwing it on, when you get to the point where you can't turn it any more, take one of those rubber straps (the kind you use to loosen jar covers and oil filters) and try turning and let the barrel act as a thread chaser - that is what I've found on a couple I've had, or sold. I've found that if you stop when you feel resistance, you usually can squeeze a little more out. Give it a try, you're not going to damage anything and you might get that extra turn, will open any extra threads in the tri-comp - I have had success. HTH, Art Edited by bm59collector