Comp Barrel Threads

The unpinned WH comps are usually threaded all the way on, with the flared portion just behind the threads disappearing into the comp. The 21 and GI comps seem to be threaded just to the start of the flare before pinning; if one of these is unpinned, will the comp screw on further, as in the WH's?

If pinning a WH comp, is there anything harmful in threading it on just far enough to look correct, or will the slight gap left inside cause problems with fouling build up, possible jacket or lead build up, or anything else?

I don't want the f'ing comp ruining the f'ing barrel, f'ing etc., as expressed so eloquently in the blown barrel video.

photo: WH, 21, 28S

Edited by mnshooter

Mm Shooter

My that is a fine 1921 comp and barrel you have there! Thanks for sharing-Adlake

Colt compensaters arn't marked.

Your blanket statement would benefit from clarification:

"Type 1" comps = unmarked

"Type 2 and 3" = marked

All are correct for their respective Colt 21's.

photo: type 2, type 1

type1and2comp.PNG

Edited by mnshooter

Colt compensaters arn't marked.

Your blanket statement would benefit from clarification:

"Type 1" comps = unmarked

"Type 2 and 3" = marked

All are correct for their respective Colt 21's.

photo: type 2, type 1

sorry; didn't mean to post again. Can't figure out how to delete.

Edited by mnshooter

Sorry didn't mean to post that. Never finished writing what was on my mind and thought I deleted the post. Your absolutly right!! Sorry for any confusion. And some nice barrels by the way, could use a 21 if anyone is selling. I was going to post that I was looking for a 21 barrel with a plain comp. and got distracted. Sorry.

Sorry didn't mean to post that. Never finished writing what was on my mind and thought I deleted the post. Your absolutly right!! Sorry for any confusion. And some nice barrels by the way, could use a 21 if anyone is selling. I was going to post that I was looking for a 21 barrel with a plain comp. and got distracted. Sorry.

Confusion removed.

Can't sell these barrels; they're very attached.

I believe Doug Richardson makes a replica of the early comp, threaded for later barrels, if you're only needing the appearance.

If you want the real thing, your wallet will definitely be easier to sit on when you're done.