Stock Slides

I've had a '28 WH Thompson ( and an M1A1 ) for 20-25 yrs now. People who've been on the forums for awhile will remember all the problems I went through getting them up and running. I finally have got them to work ( except now the M1A1's rear sight came off for the 4th-ish time , going to go into Tommygunners for a proper install and refinish the horrible refinish the local smith did ).

Anyway , the WH '28's slide was very loose , and that is really distracting to me when I shoot , any little jiggle bugs me. We kept tightening it up , but in a little while it was loose again. Finally we took a BFH to it and pounded it tight and drove her on ( 20 or so years ago ). It hasn't come loose sence , but I can't remove it either.

I've noticed the below thread on the imported steel slides , so I'm thinking about retackling this problem .

I have not shot that many orig. '28s ( nor other 28's ) so I wanted to ask , is play normal for the course ? If play is normal , I'll prob'ly leave it as it is. Would be nice to break her down now and again , but shooting comfort take precedence.

TIA for your response. Chris

Where did you get the shims? I been using paper wadded up and stuffed in the slot.-adlake