Help With A BM59...

Rigby416

Hello, MGB members; new guy here.

I'm looking at a BM59 that is stamped SA (but marked on the tag as "Beretta"). It has all the markings of an SA assembled gun, with grenade launcher compensator, winter trigger, and bipod etc (everything is marked as Beretta "PB" but the heel is stamped as an SA with a serial in the 1,000's).

My question is value. Asking price is $2,700.

Is that steep for a an SA assembled BM59? Are the SA's lumped into the 'reweld' category (as some have mentioned on other forums)? I've read posting where folks say get a 'true' Beretta such as the import civilian version Benet or Berben, so is $2,700 closer in value to one the B/B guns?

And what is the collector value of a BM59 vs the civilian versions? Is there value to the pre-ban configuration over the civilian models?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rigby416

We would need to see some pictures to be for certain.

In my opinion yes $2700 would be very steep if it comes with no extras,but that is just an opinion. Does it come with any extra magazines or extra stocks like a folder or a Nigerian? If so then it would add value to the deal.

Sounds like a SA inc. built rifle,which would not be a welded receiver.

SA inc. rifles are fine.Most BM59's and clones are pre-ban except for the recent post ban M1 garand receiver conversions and the recent Reese rifles that were released a couple years ago.

No extra value for a Pre ban in my opinion.

BM62's and 69's might have additional value because they are not on the forbidden list in some states like California. You could not own a BM59,because it is on the list, but a 62 or 69 would be legal. With a finite # of Berben/Benet imported 62/69's and a few SA inc put togethers,I could see where folks in CA might pay a premium for one.

As a dealer, I got in two BM59 Nigerians that were marked SA on the heel - this was back in 1982. Everything else on the guns were marked PB. I called Bob Reese on behalf of my customers who had purchased them directly from a SG News ad & I was doing the transfer. What I was told by Bob, that he had purchased the complete BM59/62/69 inventory and that quite a few receivers were unmarked, and that all the unmarked ones were then stamped SA by Bob, so now you have a mix of all original Beretta receivers that are marked two different ways. I also have a BM62 that has the serial number prefixed with a 'K', I again called & Colleen got me the answer from Bob, he was afraid of a duplicate serial number, so he added the 'K' to the number. BM59's are banned by name here in Connecticut but 62's are good to go. Again, I go crazy whenever I'm asked to do a transfer, we do have some crazy restrictions, can't transfer in a Colt AR15 and they were made here. HTH