Ammo Suggestion

I have been shooting Merle Bitikofer's .22 conversion in my 1928 Navy for a few weeks. He recommends using Federal Value Pack ammo which works very well in the slow fire (1928) mode but not quite so well in the fast (1921) mode. I should add that, since I live in Massachusetts, I can't use the nice new plastic magazines that come with the kit. Merle found me som WW II Crosby magazines ( obviously made prior to 1984) that have a .22 conversion insert in them that take 20 rounds.

I came across CCI Tactical .22 made for the AR 15. It has a 40 grain bullet at 1030 fps which is about the usual. What's different is that the bullet nose is much more rounded than the Federal which I presume helps it feed in the AR.

I fired 200 rounds of this yesterday in both modes and it performed flawlessly. The ammo comes in a 375 round pack and is a bit more expensive that the Federal.

How are you getting different rates of fire with Merle's conversion?

Exactly the same conversion parts are used in both the 21 and 28, and the ROF is identical in both guns -at least for me.

Do you have some other way of changing the rate?

I once had some Mass complient M14 magazines that were standard 20 rd GI mags with a plain wood block to limit the capacity. Looks like it would be easy to install a limit rod into the Black Dog 30 rd mags, if you could stay within your state law by doing that. Maybe Merle could block some for you before shipping them.

(The Federal .22 value pack recommended by Merle has worked so perfectly for me that I've never tried anything else).

Edited by mnshooter

Kit comes with a short and a long mainspring . Which one you install will change the rate. In my M1 , the weak one was a little slower than norm , the strong a little faster .

In the '28 , the weak was about spot on with GI .45 rate . Going by feel only , no electronic stuff.

Chris

I'll have to get the timer out and do some tests with the .22 kit.

I use only the longer spring with the Federal Value ammo. I would get some light firing pin strikes with the shorter spring, usually one or two misfires out of 100. After switching to the longer spring, a misfire is so rare I'm surprised by it. I do keep everything well lubed, and pull a bore snake through the barrel every dozen or so magazines. There were some more detailed posts about the kits a couple of months ago; they should come up in the search box.