Newbie building first 1928

I'm new to Thompsons, but not new to guns or forums. I finally got all my parts (I hope) all together today. I started out with a parts kit that included, what I was told, was a saw cut receiver. After putting it all together and comparing it with an uncut receiver, we discovered we were missing about an inch of metal and rewelding it was beyond my capabilities so I sold it and had a brand new receiver cut from Philadelphia Ordinance. It arrived today and is a work of art. I could have had Bob build it for me, but I really want to learn about this piece of history so I want to do it myself. Any suggestions or manuals I can read so I don't screw it up? Before anyone gets excited, I'm an 07/02 and my Form 2 is already approved. Here is a pic of the parts.

Thanks!

post-258466-0-68903100-1389751920_thumb.jpg

Edited by rcpd34

one thing you may not be aware of - You file a form 2 to for notification to BATF that you have manufactured an NFA item. Not an apporval to make something. It may be a small deal, but you could be in a bit of a bind if ATF showed up for an inspection and you did not have the registered item on hand. A partial receiver construct would not cut it. I know ATF has been fairly strict with me on destroyed receivers and verifying them during audits.....

one thing you may not be aware of - You file a form 2 to for notification to BATF that you have manufactured an NFA item. Not an apporval to make something. It may be a small deal, but you could be in a bit of a bind if ATF showed up for an inspection and you did not have the registered item on hand. A partial receiver construct would not cut it. I know ATF has been fairly strict with me on destroyed receivers and verifying them during audits.....

So, you're saying the gun should be completely assembled before filing the Form 2? Seems like splitting hairs. What is the point of such a rule? I figured I was erring on the side of caution. As a side note, what do you mean fairly strict on destroyed receivers? How do you have them verified for an audit? Do you keep the cut parts forever?

I believe rcpd34 has a 100% machined Phila Ord receiver which he registered on a Form 2 and

the only thing left is to assemble the parts to the receiver. All Phila Ord 100% receivers are assembled

and test fired with our parts here before final bluing so there should be no problems or surprises when

the customer assembles his parts.

Assembling a parts set to this receiver is simple:

Fit the grip mount into the slot and screw on the barrel and torque it on tight. The front sight will

likely be a little off to the right (as you sight the gun). Remove the pin and reposition and repin the

comp.

Install the frame latch and spring into the hole in the bottom rear of the receiver, and screw the

ejector into the hole on the left side at the ejection port. Use a thin piece of plastic to shield the

surface on the last turn so the locking stud on the ejector does not scratch the barrel.

Put the breech oilers in the back of the receiver.

From here its like assembling a gun that has been field stripped and since the receiver has

already been test fired there should be no problems unless your parts are damaged.

Bob