Investment Cast Receivers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just made a 1911 frame and slide on my 3D printer, the run time on these 2 parts was 16 hours, nice for development, but not production.

Paladin, If you have a solid model, and the correct software, and know how to use it, it's not that bad.

If you have to create the model, it's a bit more work.

Don't forget the shrink values of the "investment material"(wax), and of the metal to be poured.

Other than that it's a piece of cake...

Also remember any holes in the casting need to be cored, and the cores must draw out.

The attached photos are of a revolver barrel die.

as you can see it is being cast with no hole through it, they get a better quality casting this way, it's also difficult to build a ceramic shell in a long small dia hole.

You can make the die on a 3D printer, but the plastic materials don't conduct heat well.

post-2136-0-46980300-1416570449_thumb.jpg

post-2136-0-81404900-1416570460_thumb.jpg

Edited by GUNGUY45

While this is a LITTLE off the subject, it should be kept in mind that a number of parts for the Browning m.g.s made during WWII were cast in order to save material and machine time. I suppose that is the benefit to casting -- particularly investment casting. On a similar off-subject (sort of) issue: Was the NFA amended to prohibit the manufacture of full automatic weapons, or with this a part of the Gun Control Act? I'm not sure that the NFA should be blamed for all evils -- though I do question the effectiveness of it.

It was neither the NFA nor the GCA, it was the Firearm Owners Protection Act (ironically) of 1986. Specifically the Hughes amendment.

Back on topic, my investment cast Thompson is still holding up just fine after almost 30 years. Tested it this weekend.

Edited by wwiifirearms