Thompson Machine Guns for Honduras

I was on the IAA forum reading a older topic about Remington Kleanbore 11mm Mannlicher cartridges. http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14053&p=99501&hilit=werndl#p99501

A reply stated that beginning in 1926, Remington exported 11mm Mannlicher cartridges to Honduras, and the following was attached illustrating Remington's 1925-1934 shipments to the Republic of Honduras.

post-56709-0-71229300-1423111921_thumb.jpg

The 1st entry under June to Sept 1934 - 8/30/34 - 50 only Thompson Machine Guns for $7000.00 ($140.00 each) plus 200,000 .45 Colt Auto rds for $3200.00

Did Remington act as Auto-Ordnance's Agent for overseas sales?

Would these be M1921's or M1928's?

Are the Serial Numbers known?

I did a search on this board for Honduras - I only got 1 hit that had nothing to do with this.

TopN,

Fascinating history, as you probably already know, the US had our troops down there on and off for at least 2 decades dealing with rebels, outlaws and supporting "their" choice govt faction. By the early 30's the depression had took a hard hold on US operations abroad, by 1933 the US had all but pulled out except for a few hundred.

Best guess is Remington and probably several other "independent operators" where cashing in on a desperate Govt that needed all the weapons it could get. The $170.00 price tag per gun I find low considering the cost in the US for one in 1934. You may be on to something there with Remington acting as agents for not only Auto-Ordnance but considering the low cost, possibly the US Govt as well. Then again a depression was on, and the 1934 NFA Act was law that June, I'm sure Auto-Ordnance welcomed the buy.

It would be awesome to obtain that serial number list if it exists. Wonder if Remington has records? Since it was after enactment of NFA, wouldn't there be records somewhere? I hope we can find the answers to your questions.

They guns could be either 1921 or 1928. In 1934, the only Thompson guns that had been manufactured were the Colt made Thompsons. All Colt guns originally started as Model of 1921. The 1928 Models were made from the existing stock of 1921 Model guns by changing a few internal parts. So, since the year is 1934, after the 1928 Model was introduced, the guns could have been either 1921 or 1928 Models or a mix of both. It all depends on what the Honduras Government specified in the order.

I'd guess at that price they were straight up 1921s. That would have been easier and cheaper for AOC. The guns weren't exactly flying off the shelves at that time...

Bob D

According to the Wiki page, after the Cutts was introduced, the retail price of a Thompson without one was dropped to $175.00. It could be that $170.00 was a wholesale price.