Weirdo M1/M1A1 Rear Grip

I used to think that the M1/M1A1 grips I saw pictured in auctions that had slots were M1928A1 grips that had been modified by cutting, but I set some grips next to each other today and I see that's not the case.

There's a M1928A1 grip on the left, an M1/M1A1 grip on the far right, and a weird hybrid grip in the center.

The M1928A1 style slot was not cut all the way, either on the front or the rear, on that middle grip, so it was never fully configured to fit a '28. The half slot doesn't seem to serve any purpose on an M1/M1A1 grip, either. Anyone know why it was cut that way instead of just a simple hole for the grip bolt, like the one on the right?

(click picture for big images)

http://www.fototime.com/CF1BB647F4227FC/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B9DE8ADFBF55964/orig.jpg

Edited by richard w.

I'll guess.

The 1928 and hybrid holes are perfectly drilled centred on the slot.

At least a "partial" slot was used on the jig that aligned the grip for the hole to be drilled... from top to bottom,

and was therefore a production necessity.

A later fixture centred the M1 grip by its outer extremities to drill the hole, ending the need for a slot.

Not as accurate perhaps, but faster?

I made that all up. As likely as anything else.

...Nice observation, Richard.

...Phil

I Googled the company because I hadn't heard the name in any other context except Thompson furniture.

Company was started by two Swedish immigrants who set up a shop behind the John Deere factory to turn Deere's discarded scrap wood pieces into tool handles. Eventually started making wooden model trains, cars, and airplanes that are now very collectable.

• Upvote 1