M-1 Carbine from Estate.........

I recently came in possession of a M-1 Carbine from my friends father - in-law who is deceased. The Dr. who owned this gun was some what of a collector vs. shooter. I have no idea how long he may have been in possession of this carbine but suspect it was a long time. He was 90 when he died a few years ago.

I am not familiar with older military rifles but am a 600/1,000 yard bench rest shooter who builds his own rifles (chambers, fitting, stock work etc.) I also own a Hawkeye borescope. 72 year old retired LEO and have been into guns and accuracy shooting for the past 50+ years. Just not a military gun guy. I would like to get some expert opinions of the year of manufacture and its value.

The rifle is stamped Quality Hardware (could hardly see the name as it is hidden mostly by the rear sight) S/N 165035_. The bore is in excellent condition........slight copper fouling but the leade/throat is in pristine condition. No fire cracking.........tapered leade's crisp and sharp. Stock has no cracks. Parkerizing in excellent condition, no rust. Sling looks perfect. Butt pad in excellent condition. It has the numbers 66 stenciled on the end of the pistol grip. Stamped on the right side is a square with the letters S'G'

Thanks in advance for any information!

Richard D

Richard,

Look on the barrel forward of the bayonet lug, all around the barrel in that area between bayonet lug and front sight.... on top of the barrel, if US Govt produced, should indicate manufacturer and digit date.

On the sides or underneath in same area there could be a importers mark. Let us know what you have in this area if anything. My 2 cents worth.

Richard ,

You have a very nice, early Quality HMC , that was probably made in 1943. Around here such carbine seem to be priced around $800.00.

It has been rebuilt and probably contains none of its original parts as when it left the factory.

Quality did not make barrels and are frequently found with Rock-Ola barrels.

The stock is made by Saginaw SG. Its a very desirable high wood stock. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. The stock alone is probably worth $250.00.

From the bench it will probably produce 5 inch groups. To a bench rest shooter that might seem poor, until you run the same test with a GI 45 auto, which was the other choice for an officer.

Congratulations.

Jim C

Ok, so thanks for the replies. This reminds me of the two smoke-less muzzle loader forums I frequent along with the Accurate Shooter and Benchrest Central. Always guys willing to help a newbie.

So yes, on the top of the barrel near the sight is the name Rock-Ola! No digit date. Nothing on the underside. If I were to sell it, would $800 be what I should be looking for or is there a little more meat on the bones?

Our club has a group of guys who shoot and compete in CMP matches and I might offer it up to them but need to know from people like you what would be a fair asking price.

Thanks again for your help.

Richard D

Hello Richard. I have a later Quality HMC M1 carbine. The serial number range date for mine is May 1944, which seemed to be their last batch of production. It is also my grandfather's Korean bring back. Mine also has the traditional flip sight. The barrel is made by Underwood with a bomb and fuse on fire emblem (hard to see in the picture). My stock is also Rock Ola made. HMC carbine are very hybrid. The link below can assist in dating your version of the HMC. I really enjoy shooting mine from time to time. I might also add that some people like it better than my Madsen M50!

http://m1family.com/topic20.html

post-258695-0-59509800-1444585247_thumb.jpg

post-258695-0-33666500-1444585266_thumb.jpg

Edited by jolague