Suppressed Thompson

Has anyone fitted a Griffin Armament Bushwhacker 46 suppressor to their Thompson using Griffin Armaments proprietary mount that fits over the Cutts? I have been entertaining the idea and wanted to see if anyone has done it. It is interesting.

I may be out of the loop, but this is the first time of heard of this Griffin adapter. Interesting concept. Knowing the precision tolerances that it takes to thread a barrel for a suppressor, I was dubious. After reading the description, it confirmed my first impressions. It is going to take some precision machine work to install correctly to prevent suppressor damage. Looks like it would also be a one gun accessory. They also say that the gunsmith and customer claim all responsibility and its not covered under their warranty. Seems like a costly adventure. There are definitely better suppressor hosts out there. My 2 cents.

Not a one gun accessory at all since the suppressor can be used on any number of guns. The adaptor is the only thing that would be Thompson specific and at $150 that is not a huge investment. At any rate I am posting this to see if there is anyone who has had any experience with this adaptor. I have contacted John Andrewski and he is confident in doing the fitting of the adaptor I am sure PK is more that capable. I haven't contacted Dan Block but he is probably a good bet as well. Griffin is veteran owned and provides incredible discounts on their products to veterans, The $999 Bushwhacker 46 is $699 through their GI program. A good reason why I support them.

I was referring to the suppressor adapter as the one gun accessory once it was fitted. I own a Hybrid 46 and run it on multiple hosts. I have no doubt that any of the afore mentioned Thompson smiths would be more than capable of installing it. I wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger if it was installed by them. I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your finished project.

I own a few Griffin cans and saw an article that one of their vets was a Thompson guy and was designing an adaptor (has to be fit to the cutts on the gun, and not a guaranteed easy task, per their article) and so emailed an inquiry.

I got back minimal info....there was no waiting list, just a "watch our site and see if/when it comes out".

Supposedly was to be limited to 100 adaptors but that was two plus years ago and I haven't seen anything since.

Has anyone seen confirmation? Guess I'd better check their website.

Anyone wanting an adaptor for the Thompson barrel thread, you might try Hughes Precision. They make awesome adaptors but the Thompson barrel would need a shoulder or a jam-nut to mount a can parallel to the bore .... Not sure a jam-nut would be sufficient either.

Edited by john

Okay, since Ive been waiting a couple years to see what they'd come up with, I did some quick research. Here's a link to Griffin Armaments website......and a neat video of the designer, fitting and use.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/1-375x24-cutts-compensator-mount-for-the-bushwhacker-46/

I also called and just got off the phone with customer service at Griffin and have procured a few nuggets of info for y'all.

Cost is $150 bucks in the white, cheaper than one would think for such a piece.

It needs to be fitted to a specific Cutts.

Comes with instructions for fitting but a machineshop is required to gain necessary fit to avoid baffle strikes.

That involves machining the inside diameter of the adaptor to a slightly larger diameter than the comp, and also fitting the front site to the adaptor so it will tighten as it's twisted in place.

Because it's fit to a specific Cutts comp on one gun by a secondary nachinist, there is no warranty on the adaptor and I'm not sure if use of this would also void any warranty on a new suppressor?

It only works with and is designed for their new .45 Bushwacker suppressor.

That's $999 (and the tax stamp) to me as I'm not a vet so its a substantial outlay to shoot suppressed for me.....my old Griffin Resistance .45 can won't work with this adaptor.

Cost for one gun would be $1350 and sales tax, as well as nachine shop costs (I do have a close machinist gun friend with a shop who owes me some favors.....)

Still, quite expensive for me.... A bit like a .22 kit. Fun toy, but pricey. I wish they'd have designed it to adapt to their other cans but it is what it is.

I asked if they'd entertain a price reduction for a "group buy" for Machinegunbooks members and was told that wasn't likely as it was a special project and short production run....but they will always retain their CNC program so could easily make more.

I can afford a couple adaptors but can't afford a new can or cans (say that ten times fast!) so I'll probably just use my muffs and make joyful noises unto the lord as John Thompson intended.

Edited by john

Great info John.

If possible present your machinist friend with the fitting instructions and get his take on the level of difficulty in fitting the adaptor. I would be interested in getting another opinion from a good machinist.

For me I only own one can at present, a B&T that is specific for my UZI so I am kind of in the market for another can anyway. Since you already own a Griffin can or two I would be interested in your thoughts on the Bushwhacker 46.

The video was pretty interesting don't you agree.

Edited by Tiz

The film was indeed pretty good, as well as entertaining. Currently I don't own the new can that fits on this Thompson mount but will compare mine to their pics. Griffuns stuff was kunda yniversal before, but I was told that only the new one would fit so there must be mounting differences.

It would be nice if they had made those fitting instructions available for people to examine before ordering the mount but I couldnt find those anywhere.

I'll see what my friend Charley can glean from that video.

John,

If you type Thompson into the search box the adaptor will come up and the instructions on the details of fitting the adaptor are available under the description.

What is your opinion of Griffin cans in general?