Got My C&r

JimFromFL

When buying a Thompson without a C&R, you need to wait until the seller gets paperwork signed to have the item shipped to a CIII dealer which may take a few weeks, but now I have a C&R.

What is the process now? and does it matter if the item is in or out of state?

Its pretty much the same, signatures, prints, waiting....but you can buy interstate without going through a dealer and form 3's.

You find a firearm out of state and its on the list, the seller can ship it directly to you. Class 3 comes directly to you on a form 4.

Yessir. I sold an MG to an individual with C&R out of state. After receiving a check and clearing it, I sent him the Form 4 with my part complete so he could get his signature and prints and mail to ATF in Chicago. I held the firearm until I received the approved Form 4. After notifying the new owner and verifying shipping address with the form, I mailed it to him. It goes without saying that I had a copy of his FFL in hand before initiating the process.

One funny thing that occurred was that though we were 1500 +/= miles apart and never met face to face, we used the same bank and his personal check cleared in one day. All of my mg purchases have involved a dealer in some form or fashion. I can see dealing with an individual you don't know can be a little hard on the nerves, so verification of credentials and references would be prudent.

As well as making a dozen copies of the C&R FFL, you may wish to scan it and save to a computer file. Even if all your paper copies are inadvertently used, ost or destroyed, you can still run a fresh original.

To expedite the C&R MG purchase process, I have obtained my own Form 4's and fingerprint cards from the ATFE (include your C&R FFL number on your request). Your C&R came with the ATFE address where you can make your request.

Send the Form 4 copies (2 copies) to the seller with your check or money order with your information already completed, including your county of residence which does not show on your C&R. You must also send the seller a non-black (generally blue is preferred) ink signed copy of your C&R FFL. This is especially useful if seller is an individual who may not have Form 4's and print cards on hand. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope also. No excuses for them to not perform.

While you're waiting the couple of days turn around or for your check to clear you can get your prints taken and have your photo taken. If you have not already made yourself known to the CLEO who will be signing off on your Form 4, you may wish to do so. Setting up an appointment for signing the Form 4s may be premature, but you should at least figure out who the individual will be - Chief of Police, Sheriff, District Attorney, or other person the ATFE will accept.

Best of luck!