Another 1927 Thompson, Looking for Reciever

Recently recieved a 1927 WH Thompson parts kit, everything but a reciever. Which now I'm in search of a cheap stripped reciever.

But now I'm thinking of turning my 1927A5 to a M1921 clone, while I can use this other one to make into a more Military production simplified model, with a smooth barrel but still retains the Cutts comp and a cheap folded L rear sight.

I am looking for a small ball knob charging handle for the A5. I had one before but I hated using it and sold it with a parts kit but now I miss it and wish I had one.

I heard Kahr used to make some but not anymore? And where would be a good place to get some, or reproduction 1921 style parts for a semi tommy.

Edited by Bayrain

• Bayrain changed the title to Another 1927 Thompson, Looking for Reciever

Best of luck on finding just a 1927A1 receiver to complete a 1927A1 parts kit. There used to be (it might still be listed) a listing on Gunbroker for a West Hurley parts kit with a receiver but no trigger frame.

As for the rounded cocking knob, Kahr has stopped producing them to my knowledge and has gone to the barrel shaped cocking knobs. I presume that this was done for ease of manufacturing/save money, but it sucks because I need another rounded cocking knob as well. 

The only person making any of the Model of 1921 parts (magazine catch, rocker pivot, and safety) is Las Cruces and he does a good job. However, the parts were not in inventory at the time that I ordered from him and it took a few months to get the parts in (you can look up my thread on here about it if you want to look into more and see the finished products), but your milage may vary. 

What all are you planning on doing to your 1927A5 to turn it into a Model of 1921 clone? Also, is this also a WH 1927A5 or a Kahr made 1927A5? Are you planning on just add a rounded cocking knob, a knurled paddle style safety, and a magazine catch without the hole in it, or are you wanting to go more indepth with more permanent alterations done to the gun? 

44 minutes ago, TennesseeTaylor95 said:

Best of luck on finding just a 1927A1 receiver to complete a 1927A1 parts kit. There used to be (it might still be listed) a listing on Gunbroker for a West Hurley parts kit with a receiver but no trigger frame.

As for the rounded cocking knob, Kahr has stopped producing them to my knowledge and has gone to the barrel shaped cocking knobs. I presume that this was done for ease of manufacturing/save money, but it sucks because I need another rounded cocking knob as well. 

The only person making any of the Model of 1921 parts (magazine catch, rocker pivot, and safety) is Las Cruces and he does a good job. However, the parts were not in inventory at the time that I ordered from him and it took a few months to get the parts in (you can look up my thread on here about it if you want to look into more and see the finished products), but your milage may vary. 

What all are you planning on doing to your 1927A5 to turn it into a Model of 1921 clone? Also, is this also a WH 1927A5 or a Kahr made 1927A5? Are you planning on just add a rounded cocking knob, a knurled paddle style safety, and a magazine catch without the hole in it, or are you wanting to go more indepth with more permanent alterations done to the gun? 

I saw the kit with the reciever. I asked, $800. But I also have like $5k in other projects I have to finish and $800 is more than I make a week sadly haha.

For the A5 I want to get as close as possible,  right now I have a faux suppressor finned barrel on it but I'll swap it to a faux suppressor smooth barrel until my tax stamp is approved, or use the 16 in that came with my kit. The A5 is a WH made.

I want to do those exact modifications, the non holed mag catch, knob and safety swap along with a detachable stock. But was also wondering what other modifications would need to be done as well to make it more akin to the 1921.

My apologies if this gets really long. If your WH 1927A5 is as it came from the factory with the finned 13"~ barrel without a compensator and the vertical foregrip, I'd leave it as is since they are kinda popular and collectible. Plus, I don't think you could legally swap the 13" barrel for a regular 10.5" barrel while retaining the iconic vertical foregrip since WH had that longer length barrel on the A5 to get over the necessary over all length for the ATF to classify it as a "firearm" rather than a "pistol" due to the vertical foregrip (atleast that is my understanding of the situation and I could be completely out in left field on that).

Personally, I would rather get a current made Kahr 1927A5 and do the modifications to that rather than modifing your collectible WH 1927A5. If you want a pistol that looks like a Model of 1921, then go with the aforementioned route with the pistol or just SBR a 1927A1 and be done with it. Or another option could be to get a rifle or pistol and swap between the live firing barrel and either a 10.5" blank firing only non-barrel or a barrel blank (display barrel that is solid throughout) so you have the look of a 1921 thompson without having to SBR a rifle and such. 

I went through a situation similar to yours about a year ago with my 1927A1 and I wound up going with a blank firing non-barrel for the look of a short barrel without having to SBR it and I had the gun sent off to Dan Block (deerslayer) for the quick change barrel setup so I could quickly and easily swap between my live fire 18" barrel and the 10.5" blank firing non-barrel. 

As for a list of things that stand out as being needed to make a semi auto thompson to look like a Model of 1921 include:

-either a compensated or non compensated round finned 10.5" barrel

- ball type cocking handle

- milled ejector 

-Lyman 55B rear sight (but the standard adjustable rear sight works for all intents and purposes without being 100% correct)

-modify your existing trigger frame to take a detachable stock adapter and also drill and engrave it for the rocker pivot or get a full auto trigger frame and modify it to work with the 1927A1

-checkered magazine release without the hole in the middle

-checkered paddle style rocker pivot

-checkered paddle style safety with a hole in the paddle

-full auto pivot plate since you now have a rocker pivot

That would get you about as close as you could without getting a reproduction stock set too. If you want a milled ejector (usually they are rather difficult to find), there is a seller on eBay right now that has a few Gordon Herigstad reproductions as well as a few refinished original 1928 Savage milled ejectors for sale.

Edited by TennesseeTaylor95
Forgot to add in the rocker plate

Oh, and you would also need a complete detachable buttstock assembly to interface with either the detachable stock adapter on a 1927A1 trigger frame or a regular M1928A1 trigger frame.

My 1927A5 is already lost value, so there's no more turning back sadly. Unless someone has an all original A5 lower reciever sitting around.

I had a custom made finned barrel with a pinned and welded fake suppressor for it and when I used to have a detachable stock lower for it.

Sold the lower and now have the pistol one back on it, but I still have the barrel on it now it looks kind of goofy.

I do have a 10.5 finned blank barrel but i want to SBR this Thompson and my M1A1 as well as I do enjoy shooting them. And the A5 only fits in its case if i take off the suppressor barrel and swap it back to the blank barrel.

How common is the 55B sight? Amd whats the differnece between the regular flip up and that one? I was thinking of doing a finned non comp barrel just to be a little cooler and use my cutts comp i have on my 13in barrel for the M1928A1 one.

And I've been throwing it around but I will have my lower cut for a detachable stock. I did find a website that had a ton of stripped Tommy semi lowers but they are all M1A1 style fixed stocks. Then I'd have to buy a whole new trigger grouping or salavage the ones out of mine to make a detachable stock donor out of those.

I've noticed some milled electors on the full autos and I was looking for any 1921 parts but I cant find any on Gunbroker or other sites.

20220227_090609.thumb.jpg.50f641c7f90dfaea580ded32b49fc8ed.jpg

Edited by Bayrain

Doing an inventory on the parts. Seem to be just missing stock screws which kinda sucks but oh well. I'm actually now thinking of swapping all the M1A1 Kahr Arms parts with these old WH parts. I can get more reliability out of it that way at least.

But if I could get a reciever that'd be great.

20230629_080209.thumb.jpg.27afc23b26a695f70580b6368926b989.jpg20230629_080926.thumb.jpg.47c4f7662a36c74705b08bff8cb4f9a2.jpg20230629_080957.thumb.jpg.b23359dd7c923645478aa3b0efce9a28.jpg20230629_081057.thumb.jpg.9f213ea6166588ef961451b882e2cf7b.jpg20230629_081047.thumb.jpg.da964f899e18174167db91b45a7d6422.jpg20230629_081111.thumb.jpg.93bc2d60a125865ba145cfe1ca65421d.jpg

In reference to your question about the differences of the WH and Kahr adjustable rear sight and a Lyman 55B rear sight, the Lyman can adjust for both windage and elevation while the WH/Kahr rear sights only have elevation adjustment. Here is a picture of the two to quickly see the differences. 

20230629_121206.jpg

If you are looking for a milled ejector like those found on Colt thompsons and the early Sabage model of 1928 thompsons, then here is a seller on eBay right now that has both Gordon Herigstad reproduction milled ejectors and refinished original Savage milled ejectors (the link is for the later). https://www.ebay.com/itm/185961137532?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XOIFIO3KT2-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Xp6-tmm2RLW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I got some of the Gordon Herigstad parts from that seller and I am very happy with them for my display. I didn't even need another milled ejector, but it took me months to find the one for my Model of 1921 display gun so I figured that it would be best to get an extra in case I ever want to do another 1921 display gun.

• Upvote 1