Indianapolis Ordnance BFONG questions

I just got my BFONG in the mail today but the buffer pilot off my M1A1 parts kit WILL NOT fit in the hole.

20240122_185949.thumb.jpg.8916f9b8d4fc180b3e042eb8a6c134d4.jpg

That's as far into the upper as it'll go. Only the narrow part enters the rear hole.

Am I missing something?

I do not profess to be an expert on the internal workings of Tommy Guns in any way, but this is a GI buffer and I know they CNC machine these, so I'm baffled at WHY this pin won't go any further than this.

For anyone who has had one of these, what am I missing?

I sent an email to them just now, hopefully I'll get an answer from them tomorrow...

Edited by p51

It just occurred to me that I still have the torch cut rear of an upper. The buffer guide fits in there just fine.

So, I took this comparison shot. The lower is the original and it's clear the hole in the BFONG is just too small. I need to get this to a gunsmith to mount the sights anyway so I'm sure he could make the hole just a little but bigger but I was very surprised it isn't made right.

20240122_203841.thumb.jpg.70b02742f95730520c26b79f44128194.jpg

8 hours ago, 2ndArmored said:

It would be easier to turn down the pilot to make it smaller rather than make the hole bigger.

Then there would be less pilot for the buffer plate to engage.

Is that an original pilot? It may just be crud, but I seem to be seeing casting marks in the photo where originals were always milled, usually with a S stamped on the end.  

But if removing only a few thousandths from the pilot allows it to clear the receiver, then it would fix the issue without significantly reducing purchase on the buffer plate.  Agreed, otherwise it could solve one problem while creating another.  Break out the calibers....

The hoke on the original is clearly larger than on the BFONG. There is a little crud and grease on the buffer that I haven't cleaned, but it still passes through the original hole as it should.

I sent these photos to them on an email but haven't heard back yet. As the hole simply isn't the correct size, making it so must be the answer. I want to heat back from them first. Otherwise, they did a great job.

Oh, shouldn't this be marked on the receiver as for blanks only? I didnt know if that was a requirement or not. It only has maker marks on the ejector port side at the back.

This is what was marked on mine on the side opposite the ejector port. According to the ATF letter that I received; the marking was a requirement for determination of it not being a firearm.

PXL_20231130_170714005.jpg