Lewis Gun drum Magazine

So, I bought a few drum mags (five).  I have been cleaning the cosmoline off the mags and oiling them up.  Here is my question:  How free should they turn and on one, the ammo is very tight in the prongs?  Can I bend the prongs to make the ammo slide in better?  Does it matter?  Thanks. 

If I remember correctly, the individual rounds of ammunition spin freely when loaded into my magazines (ie, I can run my hand over the top layer of rounds and they will rotate as my hand moves over them). 
If yours are too tight, the problem is not likely the prongs, but the outer rim of the pan magazine itself. When these are unloaded, they have a tendency to bend in slightly if mishandled or tossed around in the field. If you have old surplus mags, the rims may have bent in slightly from moving around over the years. 

Where did you get the mags?

Edited by tricky9914

If you put the drum on a loading tool, you should be able to spin it freely.  I made a useful too from a coat hanger.  Bend one end into a 90 degree angle that will get into the hollow center of your loading tool.  Then, make a mark on the wire where it reaches the outside edge of your drum.  Now, when you rotate the drum past the wire, you will be able to see where it is out of round.  With a very gentle use of a pair of pliers, you can bend the edge of the drum to get back in shape.

If you have a lot of cosmoline or crud that keeps your drum from spinning freely, try using spray solvent or a solvent bath.  I used carburetor cleaner to get the crud out.  Then, I used some Ballistol to lubricate it.   My Lewis is a .30-06, so drums are much more expensive and I am extra careful about their care.

If you don't have a loading tool, get one (or more).  They are reasonably priced and you don't need a pretty one.  I keep one in the gun case and another in the magazine box.  I lucked out and found several ugly ones for $20 each at Knob Creek 15 years ago.  They are not scarce.

With loading tool in place the pan should turn freely. No clicking sounds or binding. 

When loaded and tool in place the rounds should drop out as the pan is turned slowly. 

If you have ever seen Slo Mo footage of a Lewis firing the pan bounces around a lot and this helps with the feed.

The Lewis was a great flexible aircraft gun. It will work if held side way or up side down.

One common problem is the catch spring breaks. Two types, early was a flat spring, later was a round wire tension spring. Both are a major chore to replace.

Out of round pans can be an issue. Use caution when adjusting.

Be careful adjusting the locating pins ! They can break. Best to use a tool. You can fabricate one out of round stock. Cannot remember exact I.D. of hole needed. Just big enough to fit over pin without excess slop. Deep enough that it goes to bottom of pin. 

Built up grease , dirt and other crap probably the biggest cause of problems. A good soak of solvent then blowing out with air usually works.

If you are in need of some extra Lewis .303 pans at a good price please contact via a PM.